Skip to main content

Break Time

blurred golden clock beside hourglass filled with pink sand

After juggling a very full month of family commitments, added work commitments, and other good things filling my time such as relationships, church, and volunteering, I am taking a brief break from posting reviews. Not to fear; I do have some coming soon! However, I need a little bit of a breather as it's been simultaneously discouraging to see some of the changes on Instagram that are making it rather challenging for those creating content and also tiring to keep up with getting reviews out in a timely manner. I still think that three a week has been fairly manageable this past year, but with some personal transitions taking place, I need to catch up first 😅

Additionally, I've received a number of new ARCs in the past few weeks, bringing me back to double-digit numbers of titles to review. I want to make time for these and enjoy the stories without rushing through them. I'm extremely excited about a number of titles that will be releasing soon!

If you're looking for some past articles on my blog, might I suggest the following favourites? I've had such fun writing these and I hope you enjoy some older posts as well.

  1. Reader Observations: I wrote this early on and it's a fun and random list of things
  2. Canadianisms in Reading: I really enjoyed this one as it took me down some rabbit trails
  3. Consumption to Stewardship: I probably link to this post the most when I think about consumerism
  4. Theological Backgrounds: A few things that have helped me in discerning an author's background
  5. Why Romance?: 10 fun things I appreciate about romance and romance books
  6. Mortality and Reading: Here, I get serious and evaluate how much time there is in life to read
  7. Christian as a Genre: The enigma that can be Christian books
  8. Lord of Our Entertainment: Quite frankly, this is such a catchy title that I want to use it again
  9. Christian vs. Clean: Is this the pinnacle of my writing?! Are you ready for a long tome?
  10. Thank You, Authors: Because really, without authors, I wouldn't have much to read

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...