Skip to main content

Reader Observations

antique magnifying glass on an open old book

In reading a fair amount of fiction, I've noticed certain commonalities (and quandaries) over the years. Although I'm writing more about fiction than non-fiction so far on this blog, it seems to be easier to find similarities in stories than in teachings, though I'm sure I could put some thought into repeated non-fiction concepts.

A few things that I have observed in reading fiction that either puzzle me or amuse me are the following (please be assured that none of this is meant to be scathing but rather something to poke fun at):

  • The concept of grey (or even purple) eye colour. I can't recall meeting someone who hasn't had brown, blue, green, or maybe hazel eyes. Hazel to me is a mix of the above colours, and as I'm not terribly well-versed in further distinctions, I wonder if I'm missing a whole subsection of the population with these aforementioned eye colours.
  • Recessive genes being dominantly featured. Surely there are more brunettes and brown-eyed people who need some representation, right?
  • The notion of smirking, especially when this is the only look that characters seem to give to each other! Please tell me I'm not the only one who notices that characters are almost always described as smirking, which leaves me wondering if they're being sarcastic, playful, annoyed, or flirtatious. I think it's funny when characters are smirking non-stop as it makes me think that their faces remain the same way the whole time.
  • The idea that men are as captivated by what women are wearing as described in books, although I should give credit to the men that do pay attention. In reality, I think I can safely say that after having been married for double-digit years now, my husband usually has other things on his mind and would not necessarily be the first to remark on clothing 😆
  • This isn't as noticeable in most Christian books, but there are books out there where I feel like the manuscript has been drowned in alcohol. When every single social occasion is punctuated by the partaking of an alcoholic beverage, it makes me question how the cast of characters exist in a sober state and whether the plot actually has to do with functional alcoholics. I don't mind reading about drinking, but it increasingly seems like it's an all-or-nothing practice.
  • People calling each other by their last names. In historical books, this makes sense when it's a title or the characters have not yet given permission to others to use their Christian name. In contemporary settings however, I don't know too many people that do this—perhaps athletes to fellow teammates on the sports field? At the very least, I don't see too many love interests address each other this way in life.

I could probably go on, but I don't want this to appear as a rant. Rather, it's a brain dump of little things that have stood out to me in the course of reading. I still think that authors do an amazing job of capturing everything that they do and making their stories entertaining, so this is more to highlight the odd exceptions than anything. While I have written non-fiction materials, I don't think I could stand up to the scrutiny that fictional books face!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Marriage Goal - The Reluctant Romantics #4

As one of my favourite series that I've read over the past year,  The Reluctant Romantics series  keeps knocking it out of the park with each new release. The Marriage Goal by Morgan Taylor Giesbrecht is a book you'll want to enjoy with Christmas around the corner, filled with plenty of literature-infused banter and heartwarming moments along the way. Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis To love and to cherish, until death or visa fraud do us part. Juliet: Taking a job as the Caldwell Chargers' new legal counsel was a calculated risk of pros and cons. Pro: it’s a prestigious position at my age. Con: I’m stuck working with my older brother’s best friend—the man who broke my teenage heart eight years ago. I’ve spent years avoiding Myles Delavan, and now he’s everywhere. The flirty goalie with gorgeous hair is a tempting distraction I can’t afford. Right up there with my med...

Review: Anytime - Mayberry University #3

This is it! Anytime by Kristina Welch  is the third book in the Mayberry University series where we get to encounter students with a heart for Jesus and a passion to serve Him wherever He calls them. In this opposites attract new adult romance, we meet Janie and Mav who are like day and night in their personalities and temperaments in every way, except in their love for God. Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of:  While Anytime could be read as a standalone, this is a heads up that there is a lot of terminology that is dependent on the previous books, especially around the university itself with all of the lingo and the nicknames for the characters. A man's shirt is also removed and there is talk of skimpy clothing. Book Synopsis Rigid productivity queen,  meet prank-loving chaos monger. Can he wait for God to lead the way? Can she stop trying to map it all out...

Review: The Echoes of Eden

Readers looking for a book that asks questions about the origin of the world and its intended culmination will find much to ruminate on in The Echoes of Eden by R.J. Stevens . It is a philosophical and theological treat to think through the Christian worldview in this ordered and sequential analysis that moves from Genesis to Revelation.  Ideal for personal study or group study, there is a devotional component to this book that allows readers to dive into the material more deeply. Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Please note that the author of this work has the same name as another author of romance novels, but are two different people. Book Synopsis "Before you were born, the Echoes of Eden were calling your name." In an age where truth feels negotiable, goodness subjective, and purpose self-constructed, we still sense a quiet longing for a world that was once whole and coherent. The...