Skip to main content

Review: The Maker of the Mountain

The Maker of the Mountain book cover on blue background

I'm always on the hunt for children's books that share concepts about God in an understandable manner, so I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to read this book set in the mountains. The Maker of the Mountain by Sandra McCracken and Tim Nicholson is a story that I would be happy to share with the children in my life as it combines Bible verses with a map and delightful scenes in nature.

Many thanks to Merge Public Relations for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

What is God like?

Little Brown Bear is on an adventure to find the maker of the mountain and discover what he is like. Along the way, the bear meets new friends who share that the maker is like a bridge and a gate, a rock and a boat. And he’s always there to light our way home.

This charming story offers:

  • Imagery from the Bible to help young readers better understand what God is like
  • A map of the bear’s world with corresponding Scriptures
  • A beautifully illustrated adventure of faith and friendship

Perfect for story time or bedtime, The Maker of the Mountain will leave children feeling loved by their strong, compassionate God and comforted to know Him better.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

What a fun way to teach little ones about God the Creator by following Little Brown Bear around on a charming mountain trek! From the introduction of a map to meeting the bear's loving parents, readers will enjoy going on an adventure where encounters with different animals will point to various aspects of God's nature. This book is the perfect introduction to metaphors where parents can explain how God relates to us through simple analogies.

The illustrations are beautiful, and the characters are memorable. Reading this book out loud is a delight with variance in the words and sentence structures, making it a book to turn to again and again. As you follow Little Brown Bear, you'll see the inventive ways that he is able to use his outfit, bringing even more enjoyment for the adults reading this book. It's these little touches that make this book special. Readers wanting a gentle story that brings some of God's characteristics to life in an understandable manner will appreciate The Maker of the Mountain.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...