Skip to main content

Palate Cleansers

small plate of lime sorbet on top of larger blue plate with a lime wedge and a metal spoon

Partially inspired by summer and partially because I like eating, I was thinking about the role of palate cleansers between courses of food, notably sorbet. I really enjoy the reset that the palate cleansers provide, allowing for a richer sense of taste to come with the next dish.

In terms of reading, I admit that I have had a lot of ARCs to read this year. I've read close to 30 ARCs so far and have another 20 or so to go. I'm by no means complaining as I really enjoy reading; however, I can attest to a bit of fatigue from trying to get in as much reading as possible to meet release deadlines. It doesn't quite feel like work yet, but I will admit that when the ARCs are back-to-back, it can be a little hard to continually be motivated.

As a result, I've been looking forward to setting aside a month to take a break from ARC commitments and to just enjoy whatever titles come my way and to make more of a dent in my TBR pile. While I will continue to try to meet a few upcoming deadlines and receive ARCs I've been waiting for, I want to take a break and see what books strike my mood in the moment. August will be a nice breather as I hope to finally make my way through the Timeless series by Gabrielle Meyer!

In between a few ARCs right now, I've also resorted to some guilty pleasures to keep the momentum going, which have included some historical novellas. These have been fun bites of sorbet, and a great way to escape being sick this summer. I have a soft spot for novellas as they're a nice way to feel accomplished, but also lovely for becoming acquainted with authors' writing styles. I'm hopeful that these little spurts will help me reach the finish line for some upcoming books!

I wonder if anyone else treats guilty pleasure reading the same way that I do 😄

(To be clear, I'm not saying that ARCs require a cleansing experience afterwards. Just that a little variety makes the full reading experience even better!)

Comments

  1. I am probably doing the Restful August challenge already. Not sure if this is considered a reading slump but I’ve been reading novellas for two straight weeks or shorter books (less than 200 pages) it’s kinda weird but I’m loving being able to read more than one book a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful! Novellas have kept me going as well :) It is a nice sense of accomplishment, and it feels less daunting. I hope you're enjoying your restful summer reading!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Captured in Frame: Bite of Betrayal #1

In reading the premise of this book, I was definitely intrigued off the bat. A Canadian in the English countryside? A peaceful little cottage that is not as it seems? Suspicious activities that need an answer? Sign me up for this British mystery! Captured in Frame is the first in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas, set in the typically quaint village of Bramble Downs. I am grateful to the publisher,  Mountain Brook Ink , for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of: scenes of violence and death, infidelity and marital breakdown, depression and suicide, miscarriages and infertility Book Synopsis In an idyllic village nestled in the English countryside, photographer Georgia Brooks is desperate to begin a new chapter in her life. Bramble Cottage was supposed to give her space to heal and hope again after suffering betrayal and rejection by the only man she ever loved. This was Georgia’s chance to rekindle her faith and

Review: Borrowed Sunshine - Hilton Head Island #2

I got to read Borrowed Sunshine before Christmas, and it has lingered in my mind ever since then as an excellent Christian book that points to Jesus Christ. For anyone seeking a book where God is clearly referenced and He guides the story, the Hilton Head Island series has become one of my favourites. For full disclosure, I was a beta reader for this book; however, all opinions are my own and were formed upon my initial reading. Book Synopsis I've always wanted people to like me… I craved their approval... Now, I am tangled in a mess, with no idea how to escape… Everything feels better at the beach... So, I steal away for a two-week vacation on Hilton Head Island… Except... he is here. I've always wanted to be alone… I've seen firsthand how cruelly life can snatch away those you love… I would rather stay alone than endure another loss… My plan is simple: Stay single and avoid making new friends… My plan was perfect… Except... she is here. Source:  Amazon Book Thoughts Base