Skip to main content

Review: The God You Need to Know

The God You Need to Know book cover on blue background

Pneumatology is a subject I confess that I don't focus on as much, so I was intrigued by The God You Need to Know by Margaret Feinberg, particularly given its Old Testament perspective. In studying the intersection of faith and the arts during seminary and recounting how the Spirit was first given to Bezalel and Oholiab, I was delighted to discover an entire chapter devoted to the Artisan Spirit, making this book an enriching read.

Many thanks to ICON Media Group for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Discover answers to your biggest questions about the Holy Spirit--and invite the Spirit to move in your life in powerful, real, tangible ways.

Everyone has questions about the Holy Spirit. If faith in Jesus provides my connection to God, then what role does the Holy Spirit play? How is the Spirit part of my day-to-day relationship with Christ? And why doesn't the Spirit's work play out in my life the way it seems to in the Bible? Why do other believers seem to have a connection to the Spirit, and I don't? Even longtime Jesus followers can feel stymied and confused.

In The God You Need to Know, Margaret Feinberg, the bestselling author of Fight Back with Joy and Scouting the Divine, takes you on a journey through the Old Testament on the road to Pentecost to find answers to your burning questions about the Spirit. You will discover:

  • The Spirit still working powerfully in unexpected places
  • How to respond to spiritual promptings that often go ignored
  • A deeper understanding of the Spirit's role in biblical events, especially the Old Testament
  • How to encounter the Holy Spirit in fresh and practical ways
  • Spiritual renewal through companionship with God

The Holy Spirit's appearance on the Day of Pentecost was not a grand debut; it was the culmination of the Spirit's work since the beginning of time. You can experience a vibrant life with the same powerful flame. It's time to discover the God you need to know.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

The premise of this book interested me as I wanted to learn more about the third person of the Trinity, God the Holy Spirit, whom we may not speak of or study as often as we do with God the Father and God the Son. Although Jesus shared much about the promised Advocate who was coming to dwell within believers, it was refreshing to be reminded of the Holy Spirit’s active work throughout the Old Testament through many of God's people. Margaret Feinberg is a new author to me, so I appreciated how she brought readers back to the Bible in each chapter when relaying how we could better know and understand who the Spirit is.

This book challenged me in a positive way to move from my predominantly intellectual approach when studying the matters of faith to one that is, quite frankly, more spiritual. The testimonies shared within the pages were moving and pointed to how we cannot put God in a box. Being attuned to God and evaluating everything by His Word is a call to keep abiding in Him, one that the author demonstrated through amazing stories of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament, her life, and those of her family and friends. Readers looking for a systematic explanation of the power and presence of the Holy Spirit leading up to and beyond Pentecost will simultaneously experience a fresh breath of air and a desire for God's consuming fire in life.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...