Skip to main content

Review: Someone from Christmas Past - Laurel Ridge #3

Someone from Christmas Past book cover on blue background

Just in time for Christmas, this suspenseful story about the rescue of a little boy will draw you into a wintry world filled with mysteries, second chances, and happy tidings. Someone from Christmas Past by Lesa Henderson is a book that will keep you flipping through the pages to discover what's next for Elise and Jaxson in their harrowing adventure.

This third book in the Laurel Ridge series follows up on Lee and Cameron's cousin, who has quite the story in the earlier books and is not to be missed.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: self-forgiveness, ethnic idiom (author has confirmed it is complimentary), past sins, children in danger

Book Synopsis

Can love return from a Christmas past? After a painful divorce, Elise Raines moves to the quiet mountain town of Laurel Ridge, determined to rebuild her life for herself and her young daughter, Amelia. Planning her cousin's Christmas wedding seems like the perfect distraction...until Jaxson Bleu, her childhood sweetheart and now a country music superstar, returns to town. The boy she walked away from is back, his heart transformed by newfound belief. But their reunion stirs up old wounds and an undeniable spark.

When Elise discovers a mysterious, silent child in the roadside brush, their lives take an unexpected turn. As they race to uncover the boy's identity, Elise and Jaxson are drawn into a dangerous web of secrets that threatens their safety and the fragile trust they're starting to rebuild.

Jaxson never expected to face the woman who broke his heart, but as they work together to protect the child, he realizes his journey isn't just about redemption; it's about proving he' s finally the man Elise always deserved. Yet Elise harbors a secret of her own, one that could shatter their second chance before it even begins.

With danger closing in, can they find the courage to forgive, the strength to protect the innocent, and the faith to fight for a love they were always meant to share?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

What starts out as a reunion of friends in this book quickly turns into a deadly chase for Elise Raines. If you've had the opportunity to read the previous books in the Laurel Ridge series, it's a treat to find out how Cameron and Lee's cousin is doing after she has experienced a breakdown in her marriage. Doing her best to raise Amelia on her own, Elise is a nurturer through and through. It's her caring nature that has her embroiled in some schemes that she unknowingly gets wrapped up in, making her a target as her cousins and friends try to protect her. As Elise navigates her next steps, she is also trying to figure out her feelings after her first love returns to town.

I appreciate the representation from the Indigenous community in this book and that Jaxson Bleu is able to share some of the cultural tensions he has experienced. It's touching to see just how much Jaxson and Elise have grown after their tumultuous pasts as orphans, and the messages around Christmastime are a perfect reminder of how they are not fatherless. Both characters learn how to better listen to God as they not only rescue each other, but others along the way. If you're looking for a suspenseful Christmas story about receiving God's forgiveness and experiencing His second chances, Someone from Christmas Past will point you to the One who is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

  1. Thank you so much for reading and reviewing Someone From Christmas Past. I appreciate the time you vested and your thoughts and comments on it. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesa, it was a pleasure to be able to read your book! Thank you for writing a thrilling Christmas story :) Blessings to you this holiday season!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...