Skip to main content

Reader Identity

woman reading a book outside in a park

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun.

To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore.

While I have seen some content that discourages people from taking on reading as an identity or a personality, I would much rather that someone start to adopt this look or practice with the hope that they will become readers on their own. I think where these warnings originate is the sense that reading is an activity that is not meant to be on display only. I imagine that when authors write, they hope to make a difference in the readers' minds, if not hearts, while the reader interacts with their words. Books that are accumulated purely for aesthetic purposes probably look great, but they don't lead to anything transformative.

In being an avid reader my whole life, I have to admit that it's gratifying to see book culture come alive in different ways, even with all of the changes in the retail landscape. Reading seems to have become more than books; there is now a whole lifestyle attached to it. Whether readers are into cozy or academia motifs, so many products exist now to celebrate the act of reading. In a way, it's strange to think that book accessories extend beyond bookmarks as anything can now be inspired by literary sayings or themes. Candles, socks, stickers—it's an entire culture unto itself.

I don't mind that some of this has been spurred on by those influenced by Bookstagram or Booktok; however, there is definitely a spicy element there to be avoided. Apart from that contingent, it is heartwarming to see this societal shift. Forbes produced an interesting piece last year entitled "Can BookTok Save Bookstores? Read Between The Lines" which examines this very question about the resurgence of reading. Although the books that are promoted are not ones I would read or necessarily recommend, it does give the appearance that younger generations are more so identifying as readers.

This all brings me back to the question of what it means to have reading as an identity. I try hard to have my identity solely in Christ, but at the same time, it's hard to hide that I'm a reader as well. While I do have to curb my tendencies to get the latest and cutest items promoting reading, I need to remember that I don't have anything to prove nor do I need to compare myself with anyone else. Reading is inherently personal and over the past year, I have leaned more on the Holy Spirit to guide me in this pursuit. I don't want to be a reader for the sake of being a reader. I want to be a discerning reader who continues to grow and transform as a result of engaging with all sorts of ideas, teachings, and stories. If anything, I want to figuratively do the following when I read the Bible and other books that teach me more about God:

"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads." - Deuteronomy 11:18

I can't not be a reader, but I don't have to let it consume me either. Meeting others online who love reading as much as I do is a tremendous blessing, but I have to be careful that it doesn't take over all of my other activities. At the same time, I can't think of a worthier way to spend time than by reading from and about God and worshipping Him through that action. Being a reader has shaped my Christian walk almost more than anything, and for that reason alone, I pray that I can keep making the time to read edifying books that point to Jesus alone. The joy of being a Christian reader is that we will encounter the One who fully satisfies, while we continue to broaden our understanding of faith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story Follow-Up

It seems that I opened up a can of worms with a story I shared yesterday regarding how I felt inundated by stories and posts featuring LDS authors on Christian Bookstagram. Since it's difficult to share on stories (IG has been quite glitchy for me recently), I'll share more here for context. Please don't read this if the topic isn't of interest to you or if you don't care too much about the theological background of the authors you're reading; that's absolutely fine with me if you don't read on 😀 Let me start off by saying that it's hard to convey things in a one-page story. I prayed that I would choose the words that would matter to summarize my thoughts, while acknowledging that they are imperfect and incomplete. If you met me in real life, you'd know that I'm fairly unassuming, very soft-spoken, and reticent to stir up controversy. I can see why people feel a little bit more bold online. That being said, I wrote this with a heart of conce

About Me

I normally shy away from sharing too much about myself as I stopped being active on social media almost a decade ago. When I mentioned that I casually browsed Bookstagram, I had been doing it with an account that contained zero content and zero followers at the time. This is now (slowly!) changing as I become more active on this blog. Because I would like to maintain my anonymity as much as possible, my biographical information will be scant, although I am sure that aspects of my life will emerge the more I share. Just so there is some context, here are some details about me: I am Canadian. I feel the need to mention this first as most of the Christian reading community seems to be American, and there is not always the same access to information, book promotions, and even vendors for those of us up north (yes, there are many publishers that do not ship books or send advanced reader copies to Canadians, but I hope this will change). I am an avid reader. I have averaged over 100 or more

Christian vs. Clean

This is a theme that isn't new if you've been following some of my musings over the past several months. You could even say this is the natural progression of taking this line of thinking to its conclusion. In evaluating which books to read, the refrain of Christian vs. clean has become so ingrained in my thinking that it's practically been on repeat for me. To be honest, I've never really held a view on Christian vs. clean books until the end of last year. Most of my reading since becoming a Christian has been all over the place, where I believed that acquiring knowledge, almost any knowledge, was worth it for the sake of becoming more learned. Being a voracious reader meant that I would consume most anything—especially if it was free as I didn't have a lot of books growing up (my parents preferred to take me to the library on a weekly basis as I would have cost them too much in books 😂). However, God has definitely been impressing upon me the conviction that I ca