Skip to main content

The Rise and Fall

Broken pencil on graphing paper

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other.

I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's legitimate or not that certain authors are called out as there have been some deeply problematic content or practices coming to light, but it is astounding how social media has accelerated the "fall from grace" by making information so accessible at such a rapid speed.

Among Christian fiction authors, I haven't really seen this take place (yet). It is certainly more common with Christian non-fiction authors, though I don't wish that plight on anyone, especially if it's connected to sin. It's a good reminder that as much as we can enjoy books, we still need to test everything. Over time, there have been authors that I've stopped reading for one reason or another, although these are more personal convictions rather than anything I would announce online. It's one of those things that I've learnt over time where I even need to be cautious about promoting a book before I've had the opportunity to read it.

If anything, seeing such instantaneous backlash take place against authors makes me desire to pray for Christian authors even more. We're all fallen, and there will be mistakes made in communicating truth and stories; however, I pray for humility and grace so that authors aren't doubling down on things that are hurtful to others. I also pray that as a reader, I can exercise discernment and mercy where warranted while not excusing anything harmful.

It's such a tough balance in this world where Christians will be persecuted; however, I'm thankful that the authors I've been connected with have worked hard to be a Christian witness in their work and in how they interact with readers. I'm thankful for those relationships and am reminded that we shouldn't place anyone on a pedestal, lest they fall.
"It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in humans. It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in princes." - Psalm 118:8-9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Biblio Diet

Over the years, I've had the joy of reading many books on health and nutrition, partly a product of some studies I've done on it and also due to personal interest. As a result, I'm always intrigued when there is a Christian perspective on this subject. I'm grateful that I learnt about The Biblio Diet by Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe after having previously read Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe. Many thanks to Worthy Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In this breakthrough book, New York Times bestselling authors and nutrition experts Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe offer a simple and holistic plan for building strength, health, and longevity. Based on the ancient wisdom of the Bible and confirmed by modern science, The Biblio Diet’s intuitive and easy-to-follow plan invites you to experience a breakthrough in the health of your entire family by learning to eat and live God’s way. In this book, y...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: October 9, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabilit...