Skip to main content

Review: A Valentine for a Vet - Three Creek Ranch #2

A Valentine for a Vet book cover on blue background

I remember mentioning a while back that I was on the lookout for a Christian romance book that was unapologetic about puns as that was one of the tropes in my own story 😊 Thankfully, I didn't have to wait too long as A Valentine for a Vet by Carolyn Miller not only highlights these amazing puns but also uses them to charm the female main character. This second book in the Three Creek Ranch series manages to be lighthearted while tackling very serious issues at the same time and releases on May 29, 2025.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: animal death, suicide, mental health concerns

Book Synopsis

He knows this hardworking vet loves his dog, but can she find room in her heart for him, too?

Veterinarian Jessie James loves her animals, loves her work, loves her family. She's got a lot on her plate, which means there's no time for a certain dishy teammate of her pro hockey-player brother, despite what others may think.

Tom Chavez knows he's in the friend zone, but isn't one to give up too easily, especially when he's concerned that this hardworking vet might be working herself into an early grave.

When tragedy strikes, he's going to do all he can to show her he's more than just a shoulder to cry on, and that he cares about more than her skills with his dog.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book was completely worth the wait after reading A Cameo for a Cowgirl. Just knowing that a wedding dance was pivotal to how this story would begin created a lot of anticipation for what would happen next, which Carolyn Miller more than fully delivered! Jess and Tom are both tenderhearted souls who do their best to honour one another, even in the moments they aren't aware of it. Neither of them take advantage of the other person, and both have many lessons to learn from God before they are able to start their romance, making this book just as much of a meaningful spiritual journey.

I loved Tom's sense of humour and the joy he brings to the pages that he appears on, contrasting the serious circumstances that Jess finds herself in as a veterinarian who is starting out in her career. His presence—coupled with his heart for prayer—make Tom a delight to read about, and I'm thankful that his steadfast nature balances with Jess so well when she's feeling overwhelmed by life. The messages around faith and identity are powerfully conveyed and further illuminate how easily we can lose ourselves in our work. Readers who enjoy sweet banter, puns, and adorable dog antics will have their hearts captured as they see God at work in the lives of two people who willingly yield themselves to Him.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...