Skip to main content

Review: A Cameo for a Cowgirl - Three Creek Ranch #1

A Cameo for Cowgirl book cover on blue background

A Cameo for a Cowgirl, the first in the Three Creek Ranch series by Carolyn Miller, is a book that I instantly devoured because of the author, plot, and most importantly in this case, the setting. It's not often that I get to read Christian stories about Canadian characters, so I am incredibly thrilled that I can add another book to this niche genre 😄

I am grateful to the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Welcome to Three Creek Ranch, home of the James family for over a hundred years, complete with its own Western movie set.

Franklin James might be a famous pro hockey player, but just because he's Cassie's older brother doesn't mean she wants to step into the limelight. She's too busy helping her dad run the ranch and managing the ranch's movie set, and negotiating with the giant egos of movie stars like Harrison Woods, who's supposed to be filming the new TV series of As The Heart Draws. 

And while his TV hero characters might be hugely popular, Harrison's real character seems anything but noble. Cassie is convinced he's hiding something, and that this diva's nice guy moments are just an act. Can she remind him what being a true hero is all about?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I love, love, love this book! Not only because of its setting on a western film lot and the themes of reliance on the Holy Spirit and having God as our perfect heavenly Father—though these certainly contribute to my hearty endorsement for this book—but also because A Cameo for a Cowgirl pointed me to the Bible and had me examining my own life as to whether I was guilty of the things that Cassie and Harrison were both grappling with. I truly enjoyed this story and the references to other characters that I'm becoming familiar with among the author's other books. It's quite a special universe she has created with such down-to-earth characters whom you want to befriend.

The spiritual scenes are masterfully crafted and are a source of encouragement to Christians that their words and actions can impact others, especially when we are obedient to the prompting of God. I always look forward to a Carolyn Miller book as I know that I will be in for a spiritual journey that has much heart, humour, and charm to it. The characters honour each other and most importantly, honour God. I have not had to worry about anyone taking too much of a leap into a relationship before things are settled, which allows for both prudence and wisdom to shine forth in establishing godly relationships. I love the writing, the amazingly in-depth details provided, and the utter selflessness on display between characters. Readers looking for a believable trek into a western film lot will root for a story that is all about drawing hearts toward God.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Review: It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - Christmas in Garland Collection #3

As I've been reading the Christmas in Garland series , I've discovered that A.M. Heath is not afraid to tackle uncomfortable subjects in her books, making them relatable and realistic. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear is a special story set at Christmastime that is even more meaningful with the impending birth of a baby. Book Synopsis Can a cozy inn at Christmas transform the troubled hearts seeking refuge there? Pregnant and alone, Alissa Hill moved to Garland, Tennessee to help at her aunt’s inn. When a guest brings her hidden past to the inn’s door, she must decide whether to face it or continue to run. A career-ending injury ruined Stephen Powell’s life plans. Now a former NFL kicker, he’s searching for a new purpose while recovering at the Cheery Inn. But those at the inn may offer him so much more than he expects. Sparks fly the moment Alissa and Stephen meet, but secrets and regrets may keep them apart unless they can learn to forgive and move beyond their brokenness. Sour

Labouring Away

On this Labour Day, I've been wondering if and when reading begins to feel like work. For the most part, reading is a very enjoyable activity for me, which is why I engage in it as often as I can. There are times, however, when I've noticed that reading can be a bit of a slog. Though I try not to dwell on it, this has been a helpful signal to me to be better about not completing books that fall into this category. I don't have an extensive list, but here are a few things that can make reading a book begin to feel laboursome: Too many typos . I feel like this is universal amongst all readers, so I'll leave it at that. Too many complications . When so many characters get introduced or the plot lines are quite convoluted, this can make reading less pleasurable. A lot of pop culture references . A few well-placed ones that enhance the story or make it relatable to the audience is fine; however, when I'm reading a book and it starts to feel like a tabloid magazine where