Skip to main content

Review: Across the Ages - Timeless #4

Across the Ages book cover on blue background

I am so thrilled to have been able to read Across the Ages by Gabrielle Meyer before its release so that for once, I don't feel like I'm behind on what everyone has been talking about 😄

However, the fact that this book is unavailable on Amazon Canada is surely a testament as to how popular this title will be in the coming weeks and months, so if there's a way for you to obtain a copy, I highly recommend doing so!

Many thanks to Bethany House Publishers and LibraryThing for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Thoughts content is also posted on LibraryThing.

Book Synopsis

Caroline holds a deep secret. Living in 1727 and 1927 simultaneously, each night she goes to sleep in one life and wakes up in the other. In search of answers to her unique existence, Caroline stumbles upon a letter from her mother hinting at her own experiences as a time-crosser, sending Caroline on a daring quest to uncover the truth. In 1727, Caroline disguises herself as a cabin boy and joins a ship sailing for the Bahamas, her mother's last known location, where she crosses paths with a ruthless but handsome pirate and is caught in a web of secrets, deception, and unexpected alliances.

In 1927 St. Paul, Minnesota, Caroline grapples with her other life as the daughter of a renowned preacher. Her two older brothers have fallen prey to the corruption rampant during Prohibition, and Caroline struggles to keep their involvement hidden to save her father's career. As her search for answers about her time-crossing leads her to the dangerous yet exciting world of speakeasies, Caroline enlists the help of a childhood friend who is now a police officer. But with her family's future at risk and their loyalties tested, Caroline faces a life-altering decision that could reshape her destiny.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

The more I read the Timeless series, the more I want the concept of time-crossing to be true. This is due to the outstanding stories that Gabrielle Meyer writes along with the elaborate yet understandable system of rules that is in place. Each book brings about more characters to fall in love with, and Caroline is no exception. Seeing her tenacity in figuring out what her lives mean while faithfully trusting God in the unknown is both remarkable and inspiring. As always, the settings that are chosen for the time-crossers are absolutely suited to their personalities, making each life even more riveting to read. Only Caroline could endure the hardships while being held captive among pirates and, at the same time, live in the shadow of a renowned preacher and the exacting standards involved in that lifestyle.

I loved getting to experience the worlds of piracy and Prohibition which at first glance seem to be polar opposites from each other. However, the author is so skilled in bringing history to life that more attention is paid to the motivations of people living in these times rather than just their external circumstances. It is this mastery that makes Across the Ages even more of an immersive reading experience where we can draw similarities from both historical eras. Readers wanting to see what happens following For a Lifetime will be pleased to continue this journey, making this series a riveting demonstration of God's sovereignty over all of history.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didactic Scenes

I love researching and recently looked into Harlequin's Love Inspired line's submission guidelines to find out if there were certain parameters in the stories they accept and publish. One of the lines that stood out to me was: "Mandatory faith element that is integral to story and shows rather than tells, avoiding didactic, preachy tone or doctrinal language." This had me thinking about one of the cinematic attributes I've heard over the years between British and American movies and television, where one tends to show the story and have people reason it out, whereas the other can get into further detail, eliminating the need to piece things out as much when watching a story.  I wish I could find the source for this thought as it's shaped how I view and compare a lot of mysteries and dramas (I confess that I may be a tad too shy for British comedies)—broadly speaking, of course. As a result, I can understand how didactic language isn't always pleasant to s...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...