Skip to main content

Review: For a Lifetime - Timeless #3

For a Lifetime book cover on blue background

If there's one thing I love about travelling for work, it's the opportunity to lose myself in a good book. This happened for me when I read When the Day Comes on a flight two years ago, and I'm thrilled that I was able to continue the tradition (twice in the same trip!) with For a Lifetime by Gabrielle Meyer.

Many thanks to Bethany House Publishers and NetGalley for providing a copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Caroline holds a deep secret. Living in 1727 and 1927 simultaneously, each night she goes to sleep in one life and wakes up in the other. In search of answers to her unique existence, Caroline stumbles upon a letter from her mother hinting at her own experiences as a time-crosser, sending Caroline on a daring quest to uncover the truth. In 1727, Caroline disguises herself as a cabin boy and joins a ship sailing for the Bahamas, her mother's last known location, where she crosses paths with a ruthless but handsome pirate and is caught in a web of secrets, deception, and unexpected alliances.

In 1927 St. Paul, Minnesota, Caroline grapples with her other life as the daughter of a renowned preacher. Her two older brothers have fallen prey to the corruption rampant during Prohibition, and Caroline struggles to keep their involvement hidden to save her father's career. As her search for answers about her time-crossing leads her to the dangerous yet exciting world of speakeasies, Caroline enlists the help of a childhood friend who is now a police officer. But with her family's future at risk and their loyalties tested, Caroline faces a life-altering decision that could reshape her destiny.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

It's absolutely fitting that I read this book on a plane, though I hadn't planned on it at the time. This third installment in the Timeless series provides four stories-in-one through the dual lives of twin sisters, Hope and Grace. For a Lifetime is an astounding story that further cements the idea of time-crossing in readers through its flawless explanations and execution. This comprehensive way of life fully engages the left side of my brain as I see how things cohesively fit together while the right side of my brain is enamoured with the characters and their plights. In this case, the story is perfectly balanced between logic and emotion, making the book the perfect way to spend time in the air, especially as we learn about female pilots. Simultaneously, the world of aviation is linked to the Salem Witch Trials, where “flying” can have a different meaning and impact.

Though I was not as familiar with this particular era in American history, I found that this book opened my eyes to the harsh realities of being falsely accused in a society where there is little mercy nor the desire for true justice. This book is a reminder that both love and truth are critical underpinnings for how we should relate to one another and for how we should lead our lives. I truly enjoyed seeing how both twin sisters were affected in different ways and how God worked in their lives across all circumstances. Anyone following this series will find that each subsequent book brings about a fresh perspective on how God can bring good from evil and that He alone numbers our days.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Shopping from Home

One of the things I've appreciated about being more picky with my reading is that I have a little bit more self-control in purchasing books now. I'll admit that up until most recently, I was pretty indiscriminate in purchasing Christian books simply by virtue of it being Christian, even if I had never heard of the author before or had only seen a picture of the book online. However, in the past few months, I've enjoyed getting to exercise more discernment in what books I choose to pick up. This has resulted in an unofficial book buying ban without me fully realizing it at the time. While there were a few books that I picked up a few weeks before Christmas, I've largely gone without getting additional books since then. Part of this is because I can wait a long time for sales to appear! The other part is that I'm trying to pick better books for my home library knowing how many books I might have to part ways with over time. This had me thinking about which books I wou...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...