Skip to main content

Character Appearances

silhouette of couple holding hands at sunset

The appearance of characters is a topic that recently came up while I was chatting with another Bookstagrammer regarding how characters are described in books. It's something that I've had to set aside in my mind, knowing that as a visible minority, there are much fewer stories that are told about characters who are not (as in the common parlance) normative. I'm fine with it as I certainly don't expect that authors will suddenly write about characters that look like me as an Asian, especially if they have little experience with the culture. I'd rather that no Asian characters be written into a story rather than one who is badly written, as that makes the book memorable for the wrong reasons. Because I've lived in North America my whole life, I am used to more normative characters and think very little of it when I pick up a book.

However, I have noticed that in an attempt to make characters stand out that authors will sometimes pick features that aren't as common, and use these attributes to describe their characters' appearances. In very briefly working among biologists and having a deep interest in the field of genetics, I have a generic understanding of genetic traits that tend to be dominant or recessive. This is why I chuckle when I read about so many red-headed characters, mostly since they only comprise 1-2% of the general population (with an exception for authors who do have red hair and can share all about it 😄). Add to this how many blondes and blue-eyed characters exist, and it's almost as if the 90% of the world population that has darker hair fades into the background.

While I've written an earlier post about this where I mention a few other funny descriptions that authors have included in their books, the original context for this conversation was in the emphasis that authors place on physical attributes when describing a romance. One thing I am grateful for with Christian fiction is that relationships are usually built on a stronger foundation than only looks. Though some books venture into a lot of descriptions on beauty or attractiveness, there are often other elements at play. What I've noticed with more secular books is that they are prone to amplify physical appearances, sometimes to the point where this is the main takeaway from the book.

This has had me wondering how people feel when reading about characters that are either:
  1. Fairly unrealistic, to the point where, sure, in a fantasy, you could have someone who is both extremely thin and extremely curvy, or extremely built up but you would somehow never know it, or
  2. Depicting such a small segment of the population like red hair, green eyes, etc. that it's hard to relate to them
I've also wondered whether reading books that are inclined to promote limited body types affects how readers feel, especially if they might look differently. I know there's a whole subgenre that elevates curvy body types; however, what would it look like for what passes as normative to be expanded to naturally include other types and categories just because it reflects real life? What if characters could be described realistically within novels without having to brand that book as plus-size and potentially a separate genre, so to speak? What if men could have "dad bods" and women could have a larger physique, notably if they've had to go through the life-changing and body-altering experiences of pregnancy and childbirth? What if characters' appearances were left more up to interpretation without going into words that could potentially cause shame or guilt?

These questions are only meant as prompts as I understand that not everyone feels the same way about physical descriptions in books. It is nice to know that characters are attracted to each other and have chemistry. Yet, at other times, it can get in the way of the plot. I don't read books that fall into this trap as much anymore, but there is still the risk that however characters are described, readers may potentially feel alienated or distanced as a result of the characters' appearances. However characters are described, my hope is that they are still relatable in terms of their actions and words. But, if there's a way to recognize the differences that exists within readers, perhaps more characters will reflect that beauty and come in all shapes, sizes, colours, and more. That would make the story much more engaging for me, and I hope, for others as well. I know that looks aren't everything, but they are something, and they can be more diverse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didactic Scenes

I love researching and recently looked into Harlequin's Love Inspired line's submission guidelines to find out if there were certain parameters in the stories they accept and publish. One of the lines that stood out to me was: "Mandatory faith element that is integral to story and shows rather than tells, avoiding didactic, preachy tone or doctrinal language." This had me thinking about one of the cinematic attributes I've heard over the years between British and American movies and television, where one tends to show the story and have people reason it out, whereas the other can get into further detail, eliminating the need to piece things out as much when watching a story.  I wish I could find the source for this thought as it's shaped how I view and compare a lot of mysteries and dramas (I confess that I may be a tad too shy for British comedies)—broadly speaking, of course. As a result, I can understand how didactic language isn't always pleasant to s...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...

Shopping from Home

One of the things I've appreciated about being more picky with my reading is that I have a little bit more self-control in purchasing books now. I'll admit that up until most recently, I was pretty indiscriminate in purchasing Christian books simply by virtue of it being Christian, even if I had never heard of the author before or had only seen a picture of the book online. However, in the past few months, I've enjoyed getting to exercise more discernment in what books I choose to pick up. This has resulted in an unofficial book buying ban without me fully realizing it at the time. While there were a few books that I picked up a few weeks before Christmas, I've largely gone without getting additional books since then. Part of this is because I can wait a long time for sales to appear! The other part is that I'm trying to pick better books for my home library knowing how many books I might have to part ways with over time. This had me thinking about which books I wou...