Skip to main content

Review: Shattered - Vanished #2

Shattered book cover on blue background

This is not a light read, but it's one that is captivating and thought-provoking as we see the world descend into further wickedness and lawlessness.

Shattered by Dr. David Jeremiah with Sam O'Neal is the second book in the Vanished series, and it contains just as much action as the first book, with even more chilling developments for the characters.

Many thanks to Thomas Nelson Fiction and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: scenes of death, violence, and desecration

Book Synopsis

In the gripping sequel to Vanished, a global power rises, and the ancient prophecies of the Antichrist are set in motion.

Two years have passed since millions across the globe disappeared in a heartbeat including John "Haggs" Haggerty's own family. Haggs, a military expert in pandemics, warned his agency of growing patterns in deadly epidemics and other threats to security. Then the "Great Disappearance" and the nuclear destruction of the US changed everything. Now he is invited to join the powerful Trident Group, led by the wealthy Matthias Vilks.

Inside Trident, Haggs sees patterns that suggest a coordinated plan to control economies and governments. He is not alone. Israeli tech expert, Saul Katz, saw his colleague disappear before his eyes. Now the Israeli government confiscates his life's work, a defense system for Israel. Li Fan, monitoring seismic anomalies, sees terrifying signals in the earth's activity, but no one will listen to her warnings.

As the disturbing pieces fall in place, governments fall, and John and his best friend's daughter, Abigail, begin to see those prophecies from scripture come to life—Israel is in danger, natural disasters rake the planet, and world leaders bow to one powerful man. The signs are clear: the end times are no longer approaching—they have begun.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

In terms of an action-packed thriller, this book delivers, reading like a news report you wish you didn't have to see while weaving in biblical prophecy that warns of impending danger. For Christians, it's a sobering reminder of what can happen in our personal walk with God when complacency overrides discernment. Using examples from other nations where social currency is enforced, this post-Rapture setting takes it to extremes that somehow seem unbelievable and yet not entirely infeasible. It's a harrowing state to exist in and one that shows what a truly godless and corrupt world can look like when the fear of God is no longer prevalent or accepted.

I appreciate that those who have become believers in the new world express complex emotions, everything from regret that they did not turn to the Lord sooner to fear of what's to come as persecution ramps up to gratitude for knowing the Lord. Being able to understand the signs of the time from the Bible, these new Christians are taking to heart the hope that God will overcome everything that is happening. It is in this same vein that Dr. John Haggerty is presented as a very conflicted man trying to process further discoveries that make him question everything that he has known, allowing readers to work through the same moral quandaries. Readers who enjoy end-time prophecy will find Shattered to be a realistic and futuristic sequel that references many of this world's current issues of artificial intelligence, environmentalism, and totalitarian regimes while incorporating the biblical promises of God that He is always with us and that we can look forward to encountering Jesus, our Messiah.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Book Quotes

“Heavenly Father, I am a child in Your house; please fill me with Your love.” Abigail spoke the words out loud along with everyone else. “Lord Jesus, I am a servant in Your kingdom; please fill me with Your strength. Holy Spirit, I am a sojourner in a hostile land; please remove my fear and fill me with faith in You. In Jesus’ name, amen.” “Amen,” Abigail whispered again. She loved that prayer.

Comments

  1. I just read the book shattered. The book was over all a good read, mostly biblical. However I was disappointed that when the story came to Israel being attacked by Russia and company, important prophecy was left out. In Ezekiel 38:17-23, (the Ezekiel war) the Bible says there will be an earthquake in Israel, fire and brimstone falling, torrential rain, hail, and the enemy soldiers will turn against each other. Why was only the fire and brimstone mentioned? The Ezekiel war is an important prophecy, and the book would have been much better if all of the events of this war would have been included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you taking the time to share your comment and for referencing an important omission. Choosing not to include the earthquake and other foretold activities would take away from the experience of reading prophecy-inspired fiction, so it is a really helpful reminder to have the Bible on hand when evaluating stories based on it. Thank you for highlighting this point; I will take it to heart for the next book!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: June 4, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: US, Canada, and UK residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availability and eligibilit...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...

Story Follow-Up

It seems that I opened up a can of worms with a story I shared yesterday regarding how I felt inundated by stories and posts featuring LDS authors on Christian Bookstagram. Since it's difficult to share on stories (IG has been quite glitchy for me recently), I'll share more here for context. Please don't read this if the topic isn't of interest to you or if you don't care too much about the theological background of the authors you're reading; that's absolutely fine with me if you don't read on 😀 Let me start off by saying that it's hard to convey things in a one-page story. I prayed that I would choose the words that would matter to summarize my thoughts, while acknowledging that they are imperfect and incomplete. If you met me in real life, you'd know that I'm fairly unassuming, very soft-spoken, and reticent to stir up controversy. I can see why people feel a little bit more bold online. That being said, I wrote this with a heart of conce...