Skip to main content

Review: The Sweetness of Her Love - Fostered by Love #2

The Sweetness of Her Love book cover on blue background

If you're encountering a heat wave and looking for a book that will make it feel like Christmas, going to Winnipeg in the middle of winter is a surefire way to accomplish just that. The Sweetness of Her Love is the next book in the Fostered by Love series by Kimberly Rae Jordan and it's just as sweet (and chilly in a good way) as it sounds.

Book Synopsis

James Dawson may have looked like the hero of one of the romances Erin Kirkland loves to read, but she quickly discovers that he is not the hero for her. After all, how can she have a happily-ever-after with a man who doesn’t believe in love or marriage?

Who would have thought that a visit to his grandmother’s favorite bakery to order a cake for her ninetieth birthday would end up causing James to re-evaluate his whole life? Certainly not James Dawson. But following their rather disastrous first meeting, James is determined to show Erin that he is a better man than she’s first judged him to be.

Erin doesn’t want to friend-zone James, but she’s not sure she can trust that the changes he’s making will be permanent. Can someone really go from totally dismissing love and marriage to embracing it so quickly?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

After reading The Wonder of His Love, I was keen to read Erin's story right away. I love that there are overlaps between the two books and that we can see what Erin has been up to as she encounters James, the very opposite of her personality. This tender story delves more into the pain of broken families and what can happen when the justice system gets involved. It's a sensitive look at what children have to endure when things don't work out between their parents and the adults who fight for their rights when possible, which can result in mixed experiences for people who then bring it into their own relationships. The author is able to use this back story for both Erin and James, helping them discover that no matter their rocky upbringing, there is always hope that change can take place. Even more meaningful in this Christmas novella is that change is only lasting when it comes from God, a lesson that takes time and patience.

I appreciate that even with a sense of insta-love in this story, both characters are cautious and prayerful as they interact with each other. Much like a cake that takes a while to assemble and bake, this lovely story has all of the right ingredients to inspire a noteworthy treat at the end which is befitting the title of the book. If you like heartwarming stories about Christmas baking, a straightforward grandmother, and strong Christian friends who love, mentor, and disciple, going back to Winnipeg to be with Erin and James will add a sparkle to your season.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...