Skip to main content

Review: Agents of Grace

Agents of Grace book cover on blue background

While I may have differing opinions from other Christians on a variety of topics, I am grateful for the opportunity to hear from other viewpoints. Agents of Grace by Daniel Darling is a book that focuses on what unity instead of uniformity and peace instead of agreement looks like among believers. Though some Christians may diverge on the themes that are touched on in this book (as I do), it's a reminder that the Gospel and how we love others are more important than winning any arguments.

Content to be aware of: the author is a proponent of tenets that some Christians may label as Christian nationalism and/or Christian patriotism, which I am not endorsing

Book Synopsis

Political division. Racial tension. Vaccine wars. In Agents of Grace, award-winning writer, journalist, and podcast host Daniel Darling equips us to discern what's worth fighting for, how to move beyond our profound disagreements, and how to live as agents of Jesus's love.

When Daniel Darling was fired as spokesperson for the National Religious Broadcasters Association, it wasn't his exit that made national news--it was the way he handled it. Daniel's charitable response to those he had worked with was so radical that it made headlines. But why has kindness among Christians become so startling?

In Agents of Grace, Daniel explores practical ways we can follow the Bible's command to "strive actively for peace" even in a painfully divided church, country, and world. On a very personal level, he helps us climb out of cynicism about how the people of God treat each other, especially when we are trying to heal from such pain in our own lives.

  • Beautifully written, Agents of Grace draws on modern-day examples and biblical truths to address:
  • Divisions that keep us from obeying Jesus's command to love one another
  • Virtues that will lead us to a peace-filled life
  • The theological differences that are worth fighting for, and those that are not
  • How to avoid apathy and heal from past hurt, even amid hypocrisy and corruption
  • The difference between forgiveness, reconciliation, and trust

In this hope-filled book, Daniel issues a clarion call to live as bridgebuilders in a divided country, healers in a hurting church, and countercultural Jesus-followers in a world that needs to know God's love.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book first captured my attention due to the author's fairly public dismissal from his place of employment and his response to this departure; however, the content becomes about so much more than that. In reflecting upon recent events, I can see the parallels between what Daniel Darling faced from fellow believers during the pandemic and what we as Christians could be experiencing in society today. How do we respond when we perceive injustice? What happens when we feel divided from our brothers and sisters in Christ? What is worth fighting for as a Christian, and what are things where we need to seek the peace of Christ instead? Covering what the author labels as worthy virtues, such as love, forgiveness, and humility, we can discover what it means to be gracious in our approach toward others and in our responses to a fallen and broken world.

Though there are a few authors quoted whom I don't normally read and some political discussions that don't resonate with me as a Canadian Christian, the bulk of this book is insightful and practical, offering hope when interpersonal relations may seem insurmountable. A beneficial chapter that still stands out to me is “Nation, Tribe, and Tongue,” where there is a thoughtful and reasoned perspective on how we can treat others who look different than us, acknowledging painful racial realities while pointing to the diversity of heaven. Readers interested in addressing the many things that can divide us as Christians will find this book to be a helpful resource and an encouraging call to act as agents of grace.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...