Skip to main content

Review: Uncommon Character

Uncommon Character book cover on blue background

I've greatly benefitted from reading many stories of faithful saints who have persevered until the end of their lives for the glory of God. While Uncommon Character by Douglas Feavel is not comprised exclusively of Christians, it is fascinating to read the stories of those who demonstrated uncommon qualities in their lives, opening up the door to discuss just what it is that constitutes heroic attributes in others.

Many thanks to Douglas Feavel and LibraryThing for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Thoughts content is also posted on LibraryThing.

Book Synopsis

A captivating non-fiction anthology filled with heroic profiles, epic tales, and timeless parables. You'll meet valiant personalities who've challenged and changed the world in remarkable ways. Their unforgettable stories are religious and secular, historical and current, unknown and familiar, foreign and domestic. Prepare to encounter priests, farmers, pilots, immigrants, missionaries, engineers, martyrs, businessmen, lawyers, pioneers, presidents, soldiers, writers, and scientists — their dynamic legacies are destined to become part of us and our heritage. Collectively, their stories answer the pertinent questions of our time: What makes a genuine hero? How can a hero personify godly character? Why is personal character so vital for our families and country?

These are unique tales told with zest; these are unforgettable tales to long treasure. Enjoy the exciting profiles and parables; then share them in family, church, workplace, ministry, and educational settings.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This was a book that admittedly took me some time to get through as the number of biographical stories was quite dense. I found that this book could almost be divided into two books, with the appendix having enough material to constitute its own title. I appreciated getting to know a lot of the people throughout history whose stories may not be as familiar to readers today; however, many of the people selected are not necessarily adherents of the Christian faith. I would say that this book focuses more primarily on attributes that build up character in the forms of values and virtues over the fruits of the Spirit and Christlike godliness. With this in mind, I found that there was plenty to learn from individuals who exemplified sheer resistance and persistent determination in their lives. It would have been interesting to group some of the stories together under certain headings, such as those involved in the Second World War and others throughout history who stood up to menacing forces, as I found that those were the tenacious characters I couldn't get out of my mind.

In reading the appendix, it makes sense that this book is mostly told from a storytelling perspective where the author delivered oral presentations that were then captured in a written format. As a result, each chapter needs to almost be approached as a lecture where a great person from history is being visited. I liked that the author took the time to add accompanying notes as this made the stories come to life even further. Readers who are students of history will find a lot to mine in this book and Christians will enjoy how this book wraps up, culminating in the best story about finishing well and an uncommon character that is worth emulating.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...

Things I'm Not Supposed to Do

It's interesting to discover what people should be and shouldn't be doing when they share about books online. More and more, I feel like there can be a backlash against anything now, to the point where anyone with a passion for books can feel paralyzed in offering their own bookish content. For the large part, I try to tune out these things because it's ever-changing, and if it's not one thing, it'll be another. I'm sad when people feel stifled due to these capricious "rules" that half (if not more of) the time seem to keep people from excitedly engaging in what they love most. I'm thankful that I've received immense support from the reading community when I first started out, so I want to encourage anyone who is thinking of jumping in with their personal approach to books by sharing how I practically break the following ten rules covering things from content generation to materials access: I'm not supposed to use Canva for my book posts.  ...