Skip to main content

Review: Her Inconvenient Wedding Date - Unexpected Dates #2

Her Inconvenient Wedding Date book cover on blue background

I think it's safe to say that Liwen Y. Ho's Christian rom-coms are the perfect combination of levity and depth. The second book in the Unexpected Dates series, Her Inconvenient Wedding Date, picks up on this theme by marrying together puns and perfectionism in a way that feels like stressful family dynamics don't have to be all-consuming, creating a sense of lightness amid the pressure of pleasing others. If you're a fan of office romances, Hunter and Lily more than deliver on both awkwardness and sweetness.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

I always thought I’d marry for love… not because of a family tradition.

As the eldest daughter, my life’s basically one long checklist of responsibilities—especially when it comes to making sure my younger sister gets her happily ever after. And apparently, that means I need to tie the knot first.

Groan.

I’m an engineer by day, a beauty blogger by night, and a problem-solver 24/7. But even I wasn’t prepared for the solution to my marriage problem to show up in the form of Hunter Payne—my tall, charming, and goofy coworker who just so happened to save me from the world’s most awkward date.

Out of the kindness of his heart, he offers to marry me. For three months only. Just until the family pressure eases up. Totally platonic, totally practical.

Until it’s not.

Because three seconds into our union, a surprise kiss makes some very inconvenient emotions rise to the surface.

How am I going to survive this marriage without falling for the one guy I promised I wouldn’t catch feelings for?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

It's always comforting to dive into a Liwen Y. Ho book. Not only is gentle humour present where, in this case, puns abound, but there are deeper spiritual truths that linger long after finishing her books. With Lily Lam's story, I appreciate the messages around her identity in Christ and what it means to give up control in her life. Hunter Payne is a great foil to this proclivity by keeping Lily on her toes and going against everything that she plans. While Hunter could almost be too perfect for Lily's perfectionist tendencies, it's sweet to discover that underneath his talents and skills, he is also hiding a more vulnerable side. As a result, it's delightful to see their playful banter become something more serious and meaningful the more time that they spend together.

Additionally, I love that this book includes Chinese traditions and customs, along with Mandarin phrases that may be familiar to readers. It's such a gift to witness diverse representation, as Lily is also a curvier individual who doesn't always feel like she fits in. Seeing her embrace herself as a unique creation of God is empowering, especially as she works hard to prove herself in a STEM field. It's equally gratifying to encounter the office scenes between Lily and Hunter as they transform from workplace rivals to friends to more. Readers who enjoy puns, software engineering jokes, and a lovely romance will find Her Inconvenient Wedding Date to be a very convenient story to read with bonus content directed at bookworms.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...