Skip to main content

Review: Perfectly Placed - Hopeful Hearts #2

Perfectly Placed book cover on blue background

My final review for Asian Heritage Month is a book that takes place in China, with plenty of cultural and linguistic references that made me feel like I took a trip to Asia. Perfectly Placed by Liana George is the second book in the Hopeful Hearts series with a portion of the earnings from these books funding the Hopeful Hearts orphanage that seeks to help children with heart conditions, which is where the setting of the book is based off.

If you haven't yet read Perfectly Arranged, the first book in the series, I heartily recommend it if you love organizing and want to step into the shoes of a professional organizer!

Book Synopsis

Nicki’s tasked with making New Hope the perfect place for orphaned children. So why has everything gone wrong?

Six weeks after leaving China, Nicki Mayfield returns to complete two critical tasks: restore order at New Hope Orphanage and re-connect with Lei Ming, the little girl who stole her heart. However, a stonewalling supervisor, missing documents, and personal tragedy ensure Nicki faces challenges at every turn. Is she the best person to bring order – and longevity – to the place these children call home?

Then, with the help of an unexpected ally, Nicki makes a life-altering decision. One that has the potential to upend her well-planned life and the lives of those around her. Will she lose it all, or has she found a way to save what matters most?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This sequel to Perfectly Arranged sees professional organizer Nicki Mayfield back in Asia to sort out the operations of the New Hope orphanage in order to qualify for international funding. Along the way, Nicki battles disorganization, potential sabotage, and cross-cultural misunderstandings that threaten her work. This is likely one of the few series I’ve come across that tackles the issue of hoarding and its roots while exploring the emotions of how it feels to be out of control in life. I appreciate that the author treats this condition with empathy without minimizing its impact on others. As a result, Nicki ends up turning to God even more when she’s out of her depth in her professional life at the orphanage and her personal life with her family.

Anyone looking for a book that shows the realities of international adoption, especially for children with special needs, will find that Liana George brings this world to life. It's a world fraught with complications, desperation, and darkness as a result of the One Child Policy. Navigating an intercultural setting that challenges the characters' faith, this is a series that is not to be missed in terms of how Westerners can relate to Easterners. The more time I spent with the children of New Hope and the tremendous friends that Nicki made, the more I wanted to view this story as a movie. Readers looking for a little girl to fall in love with at the orphanage while getting to know a woman who earnestly seeks God in the midst of many trials will see how everything is perfectly placed and orchestrated in God’s way as mysteries are untangled and faith is exercised.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 🎧
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...