Skip to main content

Review: The Highland Heist - A Freddie and Grace Mystery #4

The Highland Heist book cover on blue background

Freddie and Grace are the perfect candidates for having their travels upended by local mysteries that require their unconventional sleuthing, and The Highland Heist by Pepper Basham is no exception. This wonderful continuation of the series introduces us to even more skeletons in the closet. As a result, we get to know Lord and Lady Astley more fully as they embark on more travels and more clues, this time in Scotland!

Many thanks to Barbour Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: mentions of ghosts, clairvoyance

Book Synopsis

Grace Storms a Scottish Castle to Save Her Sister

Lord Astley surprises his wife with a trip to America to see her family before they end their honeymoon adventures. But just as they arrive, they find Grace’s sister, Lillias, is the prime suspect in her husband’s murder. To add to the confusion a solicitor arrives to tell the sisters they are needed in Scotland immediately to claim their mother’s inheritance. The clock is ticking to clear Lillias of suspicion, but someone is determined to keep the sisters from reaching the Scottish Highlands. When Lillias disappears, Freddie and Grace race to Scotland, sure the answers will be found in a long-forgotten castle. With a ghost from Frederick’s past leaving threatening clues along the way, the mysterious Mr. Kane waiting in the wings to grab the inheritance for himself, and an apparition haunting the infamous castle, Lord and Lady Astley must capture the castle, save Lillias, and not die in the process. 

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

It's astounding to think that Freddie and Grace are only just returning home after their grand honeymoon adventures in Egypt and Italy. Considering how well they work together—personally and professionally as amateur detectives—it has been wonderful to see their temperaments complement one another when they are such different people. This fact is reinforced even more upon encountering Lillias, Grace's sister, once again. Embroiled in another mystery that hits closer to home, Freddie and Grace further discover the strengths and gifts they see in each other. In facing one perilous situation after another, Lord and Lady Astley deepen their trust in God as they encounter the most unintentional skirmishes facing their loved ones, creating a thrilling adventure for readers.

Pepper Basham is skilled at adding a touch of whimsy to the Freddie and Grace mysteries, creating an effective recipe for charm, dashing love, and wit. Getting to observe a married couple work through issues together is a refreshing reminder that God can do incredible things when a husband and wife are united in Him. I love that Freddie and Grace pray for each other's protection and that their actions are selfless. Their adopted daughter, Zahra, is clever and proves to be the perfect scene-stealer. If you've been following along with these mysteries, you'll enjoy this foray into Scotland while discovering family secrets and seeing the Astleys deepen their spiritual bond in tending to their loved ones.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...