Skip to main content

Self-Forgiveness

finder pointed at John 3:16 in Bible

Self-forgiveness is a funny topic for me because I don't actively practice or think about it, though I have wondered about it as a concept from a Christian perspective.

For some reason, I've been coming across it more and more in Christian fiction lately. It seems to either be a plot device or a teaching that's shared with main characters who think they've done something unforgivable and cannot move ahead in their life. I'm sure I've seen it referenced before, so it's probably only sticking out in my mind right now after reading a slew of Christmas novellas over the winter break.

Though this question has arisen from more current reading, I'm more curious about it as a theological question. I've seen read some books that denounce this teaching by stating that God alone forgives sin (Mark 2:7), which I can somewhat understand, though it's the teachers of the law who express this common belief, with Jesus correcting them about how the Son of Man can do the same thing because He is God (Mark 2:10).

On the other hand, when I've read Christian books that are more from a psychological perspective, they do talk about how because Christians can forgive one another, it must mean that we have the power to forgive ourselves as well.

Because I haven't found a conclusive teaching about this in the Bible (yet?), I haven't ever had it come to mind as a practice I should undertake. It's not to say that others shouldn't practice self-forgiveness if they feel that they have a compelling reason from the Bible to do so, but I want to find out what those reasons are.

If you happen to be a proponent of self-forgiveness, would you be willing to share more about that with me so that I can learn and grow in knowing more about this? It's something that I haven't been exposed to or taught in my church background, so I definitely want to hear other Christian perspectives, namely because it seems to be more frequently include in Christian fiction now and I want to understand both sides. Bible verses would be more than welcome; thank you!

Comments

  1. Self-forgiveness does sound a little strange to me. I mean, if we had the power to forgive our own sins, it does sort of rule out the need for Jesus. Of course, I've seen it stated in Christian books as, "God already forgave you, so you need to forgive yourself." In those cases, would self-forgiveness possibly be rebranded or rewritten as just agreeing with God, or accepting the verse "There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that self-forgiveness can take away from the need to go directly to Jesus for forgiveness. I feel like rebranding this term in Christian fiction would probably add more clarity; I like what you wrote about how a character can accept what God has already done without the need for more. Coming across self-forgiveness as a reader when it's not necessarily a standard or shared Christian teaching makes it feel like further actions need to be undertaken. Thank you for your perspective as an author! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Review: The Biblio Diet

Over the years, I've had the joy of reading many books on health and nutrition, partly a product of some studies I've done on it and also due to personal interest. As a result, I'm always intrigued when there is a Christian perspective on this subject. I'm grateful that I learnt about The Biblio Diet by Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe after having previously read Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe. Many thanks to Worthy Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In this breakthrough book, New York Times bestselling authors and nutrition experts Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe offer a simple and holistic plan for building strength, health, and longevity. Based on the ancient wisdom of the Bible and confirmed by modern science, The Biblio Diet’s intuitive and easy-to-follow plan invites you to experience a breakthrough in the health of your entire family by learning to eat and live God’s way. In this book, y...

Review: Between Stairs and Stardust: Finding Ever After #1

One of the things I wish I could do is to take advantage of past Kindle releases that are no longer available. Unfortunately, this was the case with Finding Ever After , which was released four years ago. While it's no longer possible to find this book again, some authors have made their novellas available separately, which is what I found with Pepper Basham 's story called Between Stairs and Stardust . From all of my searching, I believe that hers is the only one that can be purchased as a physical copy, although the second story, Entanglements by Rachel McMillan, is available on Kindle. I'm not sure how to track down the other two stories, but imagine how lovely this collection would be as a paperback! Book Synopsis An illustrator in hiding A millionaire with a gardening fascination And the possibility of a perfect fit for a happily-ever-after Once upon a time… A young illustrator, forced from her home in Boston, must return to her Blue Ridge Mountains to escape a scanda...