Skip to main content

Review: An Overdue Match - Checking Out Love #1

An Overdue Match book cover on blue background

What a treat to read about libraries as a former library worker! From the catchy title to a celebration of all things literary, An Overdue Match by Sarah Monzon in her new Checking Out Love series is a gentle exploration into the topic of alopecia for women.

Many thanks to Bethany House Publishers and LibraryThing for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Thoughts content is also posted on LibraryThing.

Content to be aware of: this romance is a bit more sensual than clean fiction readers may be comfortable with; there is also the ethical dilemma of pulling library patron data for personal usage that breeches confidentiality, especially when taken off premises with the risk of data being stolen, which is not addressed by the author

Book Synopsis

Can a librarian's matchmaking mischief lead to a love that rewrites their stories?

If the covers of every romance book ever published didn't convince librarian Evangeline Kelly that she isn't heroine material, her fiancé calling off their wedding when she lost her hair to alopecia did. But what's a girl head over heels for love to do when her feelings are unrequited? Matchmake, that's what. Armed with library patrons' check-out histories, she's determined to make at least one love connection--even if it's not her own.

Tattoo artist Tai Davis is used to people judging him with a single glance, so it doesn't surprise him when the town's quirky new librarian believes his bad-boy reputation without giving him a chance. He can't help being intrigued by her, though, so when he discovers Evangeline's secret matchmaking scheme, he's not above striking a bargain with her. She just has to agree to one date with him for every time she uses his hometown knowledge to set up library patrons on a romantic rendezvous. The deal is made, but in the process, they both might learn you can't judge a book--or each other--by the cover.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

In terms of memorable characters, I'd say that Evangeline Kelly and Tai Davis rank fairly highly for me because of how well their characters are developed and how vital their voices are in a story about looking beyond appearances. The themes of God's unconditional love and His unending pursuit of us are certainly reflected in Tai's pursuit of Evangeline. Aspects of their relationship have a tinge of Redeeming Love to it, including her nickname, with much more of a modern-day twist. At the same time, this story is uniquely their own due to how sensitively the effects of alopecia are portrayed. I appreciate the author's call to show grace, along with her heart in enlightening readers about this condition in a poignant way. Getting to meet underrepresented characters by Sarah Monzon is both delightful and eye-opening when she opens people up and gifts us with the ability to peer inside their thoughts and emotions.

I love that Tai draws what he does back to what Christ has done for us, demonstrating God's persistent and fervent love for His people. This book does focus more on physical attraction between the main characters; however, it makes sense as it is in keeping with the messages about beauty and appearance and how people can struggle with what society has deemed to be beautiful. I also appreciate that the topic of consent is identified and discussed, for both romantic and arranged relationships. Privacy implications suspended and set aside (which you would have to as there are major transgressions with FOIP), An Overdue Match is a fun experiment picturing what matchmaking could look like based on readers’ tastes and book tropes, with expected results not always being what's expected. If you are looking for a literary escape that explores the qualities and conditions for falling in love, Tai and Evangeline are characters who easily jump off the page and leave an indelible impression on your heart.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Didactic Scenes

I love researching and recently looked into Harlequin's Love Inspired line's submission guidelines to find out if there were certain parameters in the stories they accept and publish. One of the lines that stood out to me was: "Mandatory faith element that is integral to story and shows rather than tells, avoiding didactic, preachy tone or doctrinal language." This had me thinking about one of the cinematic attributes I've heard over the years between British and American movies and television, where one tends to show the story and have people reason it out, whereas the other can get into further detail, eliminating the need to piece things out as much when watching a story.  I wish I could find the source for this thought as it's shaped how I view and compare a lot of mysteries and dramas (I confess that I may be a tad too shy for British comedies)—broadly speaking, of course. As a result, I can understand how didactic language isn't always pleasant to s...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...