Skip to main content

Review: Love, Laughter, and Luminarias

Love, Laughter, and Luminarias book cover on blue background

I love that I had a bit of time last month to enjoy some Christmas novellas I had been waiting to dive into all year, including Love, Laughter, and Luminarias by Jaycee Weaver. Not only was this a fun book, but it helped make the Christmas season—and likely any season—even brighter with its fun story.

Book Synopsis

He has his books. She has her fandoms. They've always had their friendship. Could this be the season that sparks feelings neither knew were there?

Surprisingly successful action-suspense author Garrett Wilson is struggling to write a summer novel in December. That is, until he witnesses his best friend, Nina, chase down a shoplifter and realizes that maybe his tough, attractive heroine might not be based solely in fiction.

Geeky-chic Nina Trujillo finds herself contemplating a God she’s never believed in after her brush with danger taking down a thief. That one decision could change the whole course of her life, and quite possibly, her feelings for the one guy she’s never considered more than a friend.

When Nina dives head-first into Christmas projects, community service, and new traditions, she drags Garrett along for the ride. Will her newfound courage and all the extra time together bring their feelings out into the open, or will Nina escape back into the comfort of her fandoms and lose him forever?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I really enjoyed this Christmas novella filled with equal parts pop culture, helping those in need at Christmas, and New Mexican Christmas traditions. Garrett and Nina are such fun characters, and it certainly helps that Garrett is an author, providing us with an extra plot line to follow. The faith scenes in this book are exquisitely written with much truth and meaning where it's clear that the characters are seeking Christ above all. I loved the scenes at church, and the conversations that arose as Christian fellowship took place.

All of the characters felt authentic, especially Nina and Michele. In addition, the chemistry between Garrett and Nina had a slow-burn feel packed with bright intensity, creating just the right amount of Christmas sparks between them. Seeing best friends become more is always a delightful premise, and these two had just that, filled with lots of spiritual content to move their relationship to the next level. Readers looking for a charming Christmas story that speaks to belonging and family will light up after encountering Love, Laughter, and Luminarias.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

  1. Thank you for this beautiful review. I'm so glad you enjoyed Garrett and Nina, and especially the natural faith elements in their story. I too love a good friends-to-more story! 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I really enjoyed their fun friends-to-more antics and loved meeting them :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...