Skip to main content

Review: How Can It Be? - A Work in Progress #1

How Can It Be? book cover on blue background

This is not an easy topic to write about, so I give a lot of credit to Kelli Galyean for tackling abortion in the church in How Can It Be? Not only is it addressed in a loving and truthful way in this book, I also give credit to how the church is portrayed in coming alongside women facing this trauma in their lives.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: abortion, social drinking in multiple settings

Book Synopsis

As a college student, Mia Browning shared a carefree weekend with drummer Ryan Blackstone. Soon after, Mia learned she was pregnant, a fact her politically-ambitious parents would not allow to stay true. A forced abortion left her broken and alone.

Ten years later, Mia has found healing and embraced a new life in Christ. Mia arrives at church one Sunday, to find that the new worship minister is none other than the blue-eyed drummer of her past.

Seeing Ryan again after all these years is complicated. Serving at the youth camp means they are often thrown together, creating an unexpected friendship. Growing closer seems inevitable, but will they both have the courage to let go of the past and move forward into something deeper?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I appreciate that this romance tackles difficult subjects from a Christian perspective and that it does so with compassion and grace. Almost written in the style of a journal without an epistolary format, readers get to meet Mia Browning and understand why she has been having trouble in the dating department. Despite her relational struggles when it comes to romance, Mia has a thriving and vibrant church community around her, depicting how church members can care for each other and truly be a part of the discipleship journey for newer Christians. The references to church ministry are delightful and a week at summer youth camp brings me right back to being a camp counsellor, providing moments of levity amid the more serious subject of abortion.

The characters are well-rounded, mature, and responsible, which makes for an enjoyable reading experience, especially coupled with snippets of hymns throughout the text. The messages of God's grace, forgiveness, and mercy are powerfully conveyed and lived out, most notably through Ryan, along with some amazing people from the church. This book reveals how true community can in turn provide strength and encouragement to Christians who may be feeling stigmatized because of past sins. If you're looking for a romance that portrays how God can redeem heartbreaking pain and turn it into something beautiful, How Can It Be? shows us that scenario in a moving way.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Didactic Scenes

I love researching and recently looked into Harlequin's Love Inspired line's submission guidelines to find out if there were certain parameters in the stories they accept and publish. One of the lines that stood out to me was: "Mandatory faith element that is integral to story and shows rather than tells, avoiding didactic, preachy tone or doctrinal language." This had me thinking about one of the cinematic attributes I've heard over the years between British and American movies and television, where one tends to show the story and have people reason it out, whereas the other can get into further detail, eliminating the need to piece things out as much when watching a story.  I wish I could find the source for this thought as it's shaped how I view and compare a lot of mysteries and dramas (I confess that I may be a tad too shy for British comedies)—broadly speaking, of course. As a result, I can understand how didactic language isn't always pleasant to s...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...