Skip to main content

Review: Holy Sexuality and the Gospel

Holy Sexuality and the Gospel book cover on blue background

I am so thankful that I first spotted this book at the local bookstore as Holy Sexuality and the Gospel by Dr. Christopher Yuan is one of the most insightful books I've read on this particular topic. I love that the author references himself as a "Bearer of Christ" as this is a very apt conclusion after finishing this book.

Many thanks to Multnomah and NetGalley for providing a copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

From the author of Out of a Far Country, which details his dramatic conversion from an agnostic gay man who put his identity in his sexuality to a Bible professor who now puts his identity in Christ alone, comes a gospel-centered discussion of sex, desire, and relationships.

Dr. Christopher Yuan explores the concept of holy sexuality—chastity in singleness or faithfulness in marriage—in a practical and relevant manner, equipping readers with an accessible yet robust theology of sexuality. Whether you want to share Christ with a loved one who identifies as gay or you're wrestling with questions of identity yourself, this book will help you better understand sexuality in light of God's grand story and realize that holy sexuality is actually good news for all.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Filled with biblical references, I appreciate how clearly this book lays out the primary understandings of anthropology and ecclesiology through the framework of creation, fall, redemption, and consummation as depicted in the Gospel story. Regardless of the various stances that Christians may take on what constitutes holy sexuality, the author provides an undeniably compelling case for why we need to turn to the Bible to define sexuality rather than relying on culture, which can fuel some of these variances. The overarching theme that we need to die to ourselves as disciples of Jesus Christ supercedes any other identity that we may cling to, putting singleness and marriage in their proper context. This book offers both a theological foundation and practical advice for how Christians can engage with people who define themselves by their sexuality.

This book's strength is in how logically holy sexuality is presented and why this matters for the Christian church. This is likely one of the best resources I've come across on how churches should function, why we need churches, and how Christians can embody the love of God to those different from us. Holy Sexuality and the Gospel has much to say about biblical sexuality, but extends this concept to a longing for eternal companionship that is completely fulfilled by God. If you want a book that challenges your paradigm of singleness and marriage and calls Christians to a more enduring promise that extends beyond this life, Dr. Yuan paints the most beautiful picture of the church as the bride of Christ that calls people from all backgrounds to draw near Him as disciples and as a spiritual family.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Review: The Biblio Diet

Over the years, I've had the joy of reading many books on health and nutrition, partly a product of some studies I've done on it and also due to personal interest. As a result, I'm always intrigued when there is a Christian perspective on this subject. I'm grateful that I learnt about The Biblio Diet by Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe after having previously read Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe. Many thanks to Worthy Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In this breakthrough book, New York Times bestselling authors and nutrition experts Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe offer a simple and holistic plan for building strength, health, and longevity. Based on the ancient wisdom of the Bible and confirmed by modern science, The Biblio Diet’s intuitive and easy-to-follow plan invites you to experience a breakthrough in the health of your entire family by learning to eat and live God’s way. In this book, y...

Review: Between Stairs and Stardust: Finding Ever After #1

One of the things I wish I could do is to take advantage of past Kindle releases that are no longer available. Unfortunately, this was the case with Finding Ever After , which was released four years ago. While it's no longer possible to find this book again, some authors have made their novellas available separately, which is what I found with Pepper Basham 's story called Between Stairs and Stardust . From all of my searching, I believe that hers is the only one that can be purchased as a physical copy, although the second story, Entanglements by Rachel McMillan, is available on Kindle. I'm not sure how to track down the other two stories, but imagine how lovely this collection would be as a paperback! Book Synopsis An illustrator in hiding A millionaire with a gardening fascination And the possibility of a perfect fit for a happily-ever-after Once upon a time… A young illustrator, forced from her home in Boston, must return to her Blue Ridge Mountains to escape a scanda...