Skip to main content

Review: The Happy Life of Isadora Bentley

The Happy Life of Isadora Bentley book cover on blue background

I know I have a divergent opinion from the vast majority of readers, so I'm only sharing these thoughts on my blog and nowhere else. I'm pretty bummed that this clean fiction book did not land for me, and was probably the most surprised that The Happy Life of Isadora Bentley by Courtney Walsh was such an opposite experience from what I expected.

Book Synopsis

She’s out to prove that there’s no such thing as choosing happiness.

Isadora Bentley follows the rules. Isadora Bentley likes things just so. Isadora Bentley believes that happiness is something that flat-out doesn’t exist in her life—and never will.

As a university researcher, Isadora keeps to herself as much as possible. She avoids the students she’s supposed to befriend and mentor. She stays away from her neighbors and lives her own quiet, organized life in her own quiet, organized apartment. And she will never get involved in a romantic relationship again—especially with another academic. It will be just Isadora and her research. Forever.

But on her thirtieth birthday, Isadora does something completely out of character. The young woman who never does anything “on a whim” makes an impulse purchase of a magazine featuring a silly article detailing “Thirty-One Ways to Be Happy”—which includes everything from smiling at strangers to exercising for endorphins to giving in to your chocolate cravings. Isadora decides to create her own secret research project—proving the writer of the ridiculous piece wrong.

As Isadora gets deeper into her research—and meets a handsome professor along the way—she’s stunned to discover that maybe, just maybe, she’s proving herself wrong. Perhaps there’s actually something to this happiness concept, and possibly there’s something to be said for loosening up and letting life take you somewhere . . . happy.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

It's unfortunate that this book ended up being so tedious for me to get through, especially after seeing glowing reviews from other Christian book reviewers and because I've read the author's previous Christian fiction books and greatly enjoyed them. I don't know if my tastes have changed so much that clean fiction isn't as palatable for me, but this book left me feeling empty, frustrated, and disappointed that I had waited so long for this library hold to arrive, only for the book to be less than a happy experience. Though Isadora has the potential to be a quirky character, her insecurities are overwhelming and I disliked her point of view because she was in her head so much. In fact, the whole book felt like being in the middle of a self-help book from the perspective of someone who is utterly self-focused. I wanted to DNF the title much earlier, but held out in case the character could change. Though the changes are incremental, Isadora continued to hurt people in the name of self-preservation well near the end of the book, though I did appreciate that there was some repentance.

Spiritually speaking, I was even more disappointed as the Christian worldview was not represented. Mentions of yoga, psychics, seances, and taking control of one's life riddled the book, and did not come across as any different from a secular clean book other than a few scant references to prayer. I did enjoy some of the characters outside of Isadora, such as Marty, an older man who imparts wisdom; however, the story wasn't enough to keep my attention. I had hoped that the information about research work would be an intriguing premise as an alternative to some of the female STEM fiction out there, but it felt like Isadora's path to happiness was painful and unfulfilling. I wish she could have encountered the life-changing joy found in Jesus Christ, but seeing as how this was a clean fiction book from a Christian publisher and not Christian fiction, I can see why this was not emphasized. Saying all that, though, I fully recognize that I'm in the extreme minority on this book and just because it didn't land right for me in terms of clean fiction doesn't mean that others won't enjoy Isadora's happiness experiment.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐ (an extra ⭐ if you don't mind this book premise and being in Isadora's head)
  • Recommendation: 👎

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Good Gift of Weakness

I am so glad that the author reached out to me about this upcoming release as it was exactly the book that I needed to read in this season of my life. Many thanks to Harvest House Publishers and Eric Schumacher  for providing a complimentary copy of The Good Gift of Weakness: God's Strength Made Perfect in the Story of Redemption  for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis This overview of the theme of weakness in the Bible offers readers practical encouragement and hope as they learn to view their frailties as part of God’s plan and purpose for their lives. Our culture deifies strength―and sadly, the church does too. Who has the most successful ministry, the largest congregation, or the godliest family? Our misplaced faith in human strength is a false hope with no basis in Scripture. But a closer look throughout the Bible reveals the central role human frailty plays in the redemption story. From Genesis to Revelation, God’s power is made perfect when people

Review: Cole and Laila are Just Friends

This is a disclaimer that although this book is published by a Christian publisher, this book falls along the lines of clean fiction, so expectations should be set accordingly. I shared the following when I reviewed Brynn and Sebastian Hate Each Other , and as this book follows that book, I'll adopt the same refrain again: This is more of a crossover title that fits the genre of what the author terms "pop culture-infused rom coms." That being said, while this book does not reference faith either explicitly or implicitly (faith on the whole absent is in this book), it does fit the bill for those looking for a fun and clean read. As such, I will be reviewing it strictly as a rom com. Many thanks to  Thomas Nelson  and  NetGalley  for providing a complimentary copy of  Cole and Laila are Just Friends  by  Bethany Turner  for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : There are a lot of pop culture references in this book, if not more than in the

Review: It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - Christmas in Garland Collection #3

As I've been reading the Christmas in Garland series , I've discovered that A.M. Heath is not afraid to tackle uncomfortable subjects in her books, making them relatable and realistic. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear is a special story set at Christmastime that is even more meaningful with the impending birth of a baby. Book Synopsis Can a cozy inn at Christmas transform the troubled hearts seeking refuge there? Pregnant and alone, Alissa Hill moved to Garland, Tennessee to help at her aunt’s inn. When a guest brings her hidden past to the inn’s door, she must decide whether to face it or continue to run. A career-ending injury ruined Stephen Powell’s life plans. Now a former NFL kicker, he’s searching for a new purpose while recovering at the Cheery Inn. But those at the inn may offer him so much more than he expects. Sparks fly the moment Alissa and Stephen meet, but secrets and regrets may keep them apart unless they can learn to forgive and move beyond their brokenness. Sour