Skip to main content

Review: Movie-Made Romance: Christmas in Garland Collection #4

Movie-Made Romance book cover on blue background

For anyone who has played bingo along with Christmas Romance movies, it's clear that there are definite (and repeated) themes. Movie-Made Romance by A.M. Heath plays on that idea, bringing a story within a story to life.

Book Synopsis

He wants a second chance. She wants him to get lost.

Carleigh St. John is tired of watching everyone else get their happily-ever-after, and her little sister’s engagement is the last straw. Stewing down the overused plot lines from Christmas Romance movies, Carleigh creates a dating playbook. With a marathon of Christmas dates ranging from picking out a tree with her first crush to volunteering with her grumpy co-worker, she’s bound to find her perfect movie-made ending. … If only her ex will stay out of the way.

Joshua Price has spent the last four years trying to outrun his past and the ex-fiancé he had hurt, but now he is back home. As he strives to help his grandfather, he keeps bumping into Carleigh. The pull between them is undeniable, and Joshua longs to convince her to see him as a changed man worthy of a second chance.

Will Carleigh’s movie-inspired dating book bring her the happy ending she desires, or is God ushering in a plot twist of His own? Find out in this heartwarming, laugh-out-loud romance full of all the sweet, cheesy movie moments you can’t get enough of.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book was not easy to read, especially given the circumstances leading to why it became a second chance romance. However, I'm glad that I persisted in discovering what happens between Joshua and Carleigh in this story. While the Christmas movie tropes were a cute premise, I did feel like Carleigh took it too seriously at the onset. Thankfully, over time, other characters call Carleigh out for her behaviour, which I was happy to see when she started turning into a man-izer. What turned this book around for me was seeing how the author turned a somewhat unlikable female main character into someone that largely resembled me in how I respond to being hurt and the struggles I have in forgiving others. This was masterful writing at its finest where the message of overcoming bitterness was not preached so much as a mirror was held up to me. As a result, I truly appreciated all that Carleigh went through and the journey ahead of her.

As I've come to learn, A.M. Heath writes heartwarming side characters who enrich the story further. I really liked Joshua and how much it meant for him to become a changed man as a result of Jesus’ work in his life. I actually preferred his point of view as he provided a picture of endurance, faithfulness, and respect while working to make amends. This is a Christian fiction book that points to how much sin can wound others while demonstrating God's immense grace with us. The message of the book goes beyond movie tropes, wrapping deep truths in a light-hearted package.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Weighing the Effort

It's been just a little bit less than a year since I've started blogging again and creating a social media account to share about my love of books. Sometimes, I look back to when I first started and envision all of the changes that have happened in my life since that time. A lot of the changes have been absolutely splendid, where I could not imagine having a more fun year in connecting with authors and readers alike. Other changes have required more effort than should be necessary, which has resulted in additional strain. Though I haven't always been successful, I've tried to foster an attitude of positivity around my account. After all, it's my sheer love of Christian books that has led me to share my thoughts and reviews more publicly. However, for several months now, I have encountered so much friction on my social media account that it's made sharing content all the more difficult, especially since the majority of people interact with me over there rather th

Wedding Scenes

I've had the pleasure of reading some lovely wedding scenes lately and it had me thinking about books that choose to include them. In noticing that a lot of the romances I read tend to end with either the couple finally confirming their relationship or possibly an engagement if there is an epilogue, I'm usually left wanting to know what the wedding will look like. If there happens to be any wedding scene, it may be from the perspective of a character in the next book in the series, such as a bridesmaid or family member as a segue into their own story. However, I've found that when I get to read fuller descriptions of a wedding from either the bride or the groom's point of view that it seems to make the book feel more complete. That's not to say that a wedding should always be included, especially if the timing doesn't make sense, but they are wonderful to read about. In terms of Christian weddings, I've always been curious as to how authors convey this. Some