Skip to main content

Review: It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - Christmas in Garland Collection #3

It Came Upon a Midnight Clear book cover on blue background

As I've been reading the Christmas in Garland series, I've discovered that A.M. Heath is not afraid to tackle uncomfortable subjects in her books, making them relatable and realistic. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear is a special story set at Christmastime that is even more meaningful with the impending birth of a baby.

Book Synopsis

Can a cozy inn at Christmas transform the troubled hearts seeking refuge there?

Pregnant and alone, Alissa Hill moved to Garland, Tennessee to help at her aunt’s inn. When a guest brings her hidden past to the inn’s door, she must decide whether to face it or continue to run.

A career-ending injury ruined Stephen Powell’s life plans. Now a former NFL kicker, he’s searching for a new purpose while recovering at the Cheery Inn. But those at the inn may offer him so much more than he expects.

Sparks fly the moment Alissa and Stephen meet, but secrets and regrets may keep them apart unless they can learn to forgive and move beyond their brokenness.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I really love the messages of God's forgiveness and redemption in this story about a single mom regretting past choices in her life. Alissa comes across in such a vulnerable manner that it is easy to understand her doubts and misgivings about others. At the same time, Stephen is also going through similar emotions while grappling with events outside of his control. Together, the two characters beautifully navigate what it looks like to trust God when circumstances are not as planned, whether as a result of external forces or internal sin. The author addresses both of these journeys equally well, taking the time to share what it means to trust in God’s plans and believe that He can bring beauty from ashes.

The supporting characters in the form of the sisters provide comic relief, while it is a joy to see David, the young neighbour, taken in and loved on. All of these characters form a family in a way at the Cheery Inn, helping Alissa throughout her pregnancy. Faith is strongly referenced, and difficult issues are tackled, such as why God allows suffering. There are raw emotions on display and multiple life decisions that have to be made in a complex situation. This Christmas novella shines a light on hope when things appear darkest at midnight.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...