Skip to main content

Review: Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed book cover on blue background

I'll read practically anything having to do with weddings or brides. Add a wedding dress to the mix, and I'm a goner. That's why I'm so glad that I got to read Something Borrowed: A Historical Romance Collection by Rachel Scott McDaniel, Allison Pittman, and Susie Finkbeiner, an anthology that releases on August 13, 2024. 

I am grateful to Rachel Scott McDaniel, one of the authors, for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

One perfect dress--three different love stories

In this brand-new novella collection, three renowned Christian historical fiction authors trace generations of wartime romances through a special wedding dress with love sewn into its seams.

"A Heart in Disguise" by Rachel Scott McDaniel

Clara Westlake loves her job as a seamstress in the US "Camouflage Corps," sewing suits for snipers and contributing to the war effort. But when she overhears a threat against her beloved New York City, the Great War comes too close to home--except no one believes her forewarning. She must recruit Marcus Reeves, a childhood friend searching for his purpose after suffering a devastating war injury. As they search for answers together, they may also uncover a love that lasts.

"A Letter to Eli" by Allison Pittman

Bette and Alice are lifelong friends, trying to make a good life for themselves in New York City while World War II rages. It's never far away from their thoughts--not with Alice's fiancé serving at sea, in danger every minute. That's a worry Bette doesn't envy. Then a secret letter reunites her with her soldier ex-boyfriend, now wounded and back in the States. But can the innocent love these two had before the war be rekindled in the face of tragedy?

"A Daffodil in the Dress" by Susie Finkbeiner

Kate Becker and Ike Finch have worked together at his family's bookstore since Kate's husband died in the early days of the Vietnam War. She has her daughter, Eloise, to take care of and bills to pay, and this job was a godsend. A second love is not in the cards, especially not with the world still teetering on the edge of insanity. But when Ike brings little Eloise special flowers one spring day, Kate begins to look at him as more than an employer. Is falling in love again worth the risk?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I love this anthology and the stories woven around a special dress, with prayers offered by women of different generations. This book starts off with a riveting bang and left me moved to tears at the end after enjoying my first story by Susie Finkbeiner. Psalm 91:11 plays a paramount role in offering comfort to such lovely characters as Clara, Bette, and Kate as they exhibit hope in the midst of war and its aftermath. Each of their experiences is unique yet finds a common thread in what it means to trust God with the future when surrounded by uncertainty and the unknown.

It is evident that God's promise is what carries each woman, offering the message that what is true in these stories is true for us today. From Clara's stewardship of her gifts to make a difference to Bette's forgiveness of others when caught in an act of deception to Kate’s protective care for her daughter as a single mother, each woman brings a touch of inspiration as they seek to serve others. Readers who enjoy interconnected stories told through time will be captivated by the gift of a borrowed dress that carries a much deeper meaning beyond a wedding day.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Review: Captured in Frame: Bite of Betrayal #1

In reading the premise of this book, I was definitely intrigued off the bat. A Canadian in the English countryside? A peaceful little cottage that is not as it seems? Suspicious activities that need an answer? Sign me up for this British mystery! Captured in Frame is the first in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas, set in the typically quaint village of Bramble Downs. I am grateful to the publisher,  Mountain Brook Ink , for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : scenes of violence and death, infidelity and marital breakdown, depression and suicide, miscarriages and infertility Book Synopsis In an idyllic village nestled in the English countryside, photographer Georgia Brooks is desperate to begin a new chapter in her life. Bramble Cottage was supposed to give her space to heal and hope again after suffering betrayal and rejection by the only man she ever loved. This was Georgia’s chance to rekindle her faith and

Weighing the Effort

It's been just a little bit less than a year since I've started blogging again and creating a social media account to share about my love of books. Sometimes, I look back to when I first started and envision all of the changes that have happened in my life since that time. A lot of the changes have been absolutely splendid, where I could not imagine having a more fun year in connecting with authors and readers alike. Other changes have required more effort than should be necessary, which has resulted in additional strain. Though I haven't always been successful, I've tried to foster an attitude of positivity around my account. After all, it's my sheer love of Christian books that has led me to share my thoughts and reviews more publicly. However, for several months now, I have encountered so much friction on my social media account that it's made sharing content all the more difficult, especially since the majority of people interact with me over there rather th