Skip to main content

Reading as a Sport

Stack of blue hardcover books with open book on top against black backdrop

I tend to write more serious musings on books and faith; however, I thought I'd write a more lighthearted piece on how reading could almost function like a sport, with the huge caveats being that I am not at all advocating for this in reality nor am I speaking from a place of experience, being that the last time I played team sports was in school 😂 This is certainly meant to be tongue in cheek!

Obviously, this was somewhat inspired by the Olympics, even if that particular event may not be some people's cup of tea right now (which I fully understand). Even if reading will never feature in any type of competition, it is rather fun to think of the ways that it can strengthen minds, if not bodies, in the following ways:

Discipline

It takes discipline to be a reader, especially since reading is not always considered cool. To persist and forge on means that readers learn the skills of pressing on and not caving into peer or societal pressure, namely if you want to avoid the books that most people may be reading. There is also discipline involved in researching books to read, and following through with the books, unless it's a DNF. In that case, it can take just as much discipline to walk away from a bad book.

Focus

To be able to read in the places that we do takes immense focus, whether we read on public transportation, amidst a busy household, at a social function, or while multitasking. Being able to tune everything else out requires a level of mastery. Not being distracted is a difficult feat, especially in reading books on personal devices where the temptation lurks to check out social media or other activities. If you can read while there is noise around you, that is a skill that can transfer to other areas of life.

Memory

Much like muscle memory, there are many things that end up becoming natural over time to readers. Keeping plotlines straight? Check. Remembering what happens to characters in previous stories as you read sequels? Check. Memorizing the order of series that authors have written? Check. Keeping track of multi-author collaborations? Check. Being able to review or recall details of a book to relay to others? Check. Knowing how new worlds work and understanding its rules? Check.

Flexibility

This is a hidden skill that readers possess on multiple levels. Being able to drop everything for a new book requires adaptiveness and the willingness to embrace change. Furthermore, being able to move books up and down a TBR pile means that the mind is constantly shifting gears in determining the order of the books that should be read, making it even more agile as it takes in information to adjust expectations. In addition to being flexible, readers can also estimate time and gauge feasibility in completing books.

Resourcefulness

Readers know that being emptyhanded without a book while going out into public is just not done. Whether there is an ebook on the go, a tote that can carry a portable title, or an audiobook that can be plugged in, readers are resourceful in always ensuring a book is available when needed. Readers are also adept at locating titles that may be more obscure or harder to find, relying on many book-related options such as libraries, bookstores, thrift stores, Little Free Libraries, book swaps, and more. Finding the perfect book takes many resources, which readers have in spades.

Patience

As with any discipline, timing can be everything. Readers balance the struggle between signing up for too many ARCs with waiting for book sales. They also time when they should begin a new series; is it better to dive in while the book is popular in circulation or should they wait until the full series is released so that they can read the sequels immediately? If waiting is required while the author is writing the next book, what can readers do in the meantime? Patience is honed over time as readers await the next book releases.

Challenge

Reading challenges are nothing new, and though medals are not necessarily given out, readers still want to rise to the occasion. Being challenged to read outside of the box can be reinvigorating and could jumpstart readers into new genres, authors, and books. It can also push readers out of a reading slump by providing fresh inspiration. Readers like to push themselves, keeping their minds as sharp as possible, so it shouldn't be a surprise that all types of reading challenges exist (plug here for the Clearly Christian Readathon).

Weightlifting, Fast Scanning, and Reading During Movement

Okay, I had to add something physical in addition to all the mental acuity that is built up by reading. Readers are accustomed to holding books, so imagine the amount of weightlifting involved in moving huge stacks of books, especially if bookshelves are being rearranged. If readers carry books with them, think of the extra weight that is being lugged around without a second thought. Additionally, readers end up with improved visual scanning abilities by having to scan through book titles at bookstores and libraries on a continual basis. Those eyes sure get a workout, not to mention that this doesn't include reading through pages. Finally, if readers don't get motion sickness as they read, this is another boon as to how well the brain can function with the body. Who said you weren't coordinating all of these functions together (bonus points if you work out and listen to audiobooks)?

Though I'm not an athlete in any sense of the word, I like to think that there are some positive benefits that come from reading. Maybe I can translate all of this to being better at working out my body as much as I like to work out my mind 😅

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Review: Captured in Frame: Bite of Betrayal #1

In reading the premise of this book, I was definitely intrigued off the bat. A Canadian in the English countryside? A peaceful little cottage that is not as it seems? Suspicious activities that need an answer? Sign me up for this British mystery! Captured in Frame is the first in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas, set in the typically quaint village of Bramble Downs. I am grateful to the publisher,  Mountain Brook Ink , for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : scenes of violence and death, infidelity and marital breakdown, depression and suicide, miscarriages and infertility Book Synopsis In an idyllic village nestled in the English countryside, photographer Georgia Brooks is desperate to begin a new chapter in her life. Bramble Cottage was supposed to give her space to heal and hope again after suffering betrayal and rejection by the only man she ever loved. This was Georgia’s chance to rekindle her faith and

Weighing the Effort

It's been just a little bit less than a year since I've started blogging again and creating a social media account to share about my love of books. Sometimes, I look back to when I first started and envision all of the changes that have happened in my life since that time. A lot of the changes have been absolutely splendid, where I could not imagine having a more fun year in connecting with authors and readers alike. Other changes have required more effort than should be necessary, which has resulted in additional strain. Though I haven't always been successful, I've tried to foster an attitude of positivity around my account. After all, it's my sheer love of Christian books that has led me to share my thoughts and reviews more publicly. However, for several months now, I have encountered so much friction on my social media account that it's made sharing content all the more difficult, especially since the majority of people interact with me over there rather th