Skip to main content

Review: Their Unlikely Protector

Their Unlikely Protector book cover on blue background

I've truly enjoyed each of the books I've read by Meghann Whistler and request them each time they appear on LibraryThing! Their Unlikely Protector is my third title by her, and I look forward to many more 😊

Many thanks to Harlequin's Love Inspired line and LibraryThing for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Thoughts content is also posted on LibraryThing.

Book Synopsis

To give two little boys a home…

She must take a chance on forgiveness.

The last person Valerie Williams expects to rescue her and her toddler twin brothers from a fiery blaze is Brett Richardson, her high school nemesis. But with her house burned down, Valerie is forced to stay at the same inn as Brett and work together on the town festival. Now Brett has the chance to make things right, but can Valerie let go of the past to make way for a future together?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

One of the things that I've come to associate with Meghann Whistler's books is how brilliantly she writes medical scenes. They are informative yet also enhance and advance the plot. In this case, I learnt about some new conditions and gained deeper empathy for those suffering from them. I love reading her books because there is so much heart behind them, along with some incredible faith-filled scenes. Brett and Valerie shine as characters and Valerie's brothers steal the show with their adorable lines and antics. Not only is this Cape Cod story a delight to read, there are some powerful truths around the effects of bullying, insecurity, and family trauma, and how God can bring healing and restoration through His power.

Alongside the swoony romance, I appreciated the detailed information around the characters' careers and the decisions they had to make. This information makes Brett and Valerie more well-rounded, and it allows readers to feel like they're connecting with colleagues and friends. I am so grateful for all of the prayers interspersed throughout the book and how they capture the essence of what the characters need most from God. If you're looking for a touching story filled with ups and downs, but also hope and generosity, Their Unlikely Protector is an excellent choice for readers who want to see how God can take the broken pieces of our hearts and turn them into something whole.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Review: Captured in Frame: Bite of Betrayal #1

In reading the premise of this book, I was definitely intrigued off the bat. A Canadian in the English countryside? A peaceful little cottage that is not as it seems? Suspicious activities that need an answer? Sign me up for this British mystery! Captured in Frame is the first in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas, set in the typically quaint village of Bramble Downs. I am grateful to the publisher,  Mountain Brook Ink , for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : scenes of violence and death, infidelity and marital breakdown, depression and suicide, miscarriages and infertility Book Synopsis In an idyllic village nestled in the English countryside, photographer Georgia Brooks is desperate to begin a new chapter in her life. Bramble Cottage was supposed to give her space to heal and hope again after suffering betrayal and rejection by the only man she ever loved. This was Georgia’s chance to rekindle her faith and

Weighing the Effort

It's been just a little bit less than a year since I've started blogging again and creating a social media account to share about my love of books. Sometimes, I look back to when I first started and envision all of the changes that have happened in my life since that time. A lot of the changes have been absolutely splendid, where I could not imagine having a more fun year in connecting with authors and readers alike. Other changes have required more effort than should be necessary, which has resulted in additional strain. Though I haven't always been successful, I've tried to foster an attitude of positivity around my account. After all, it's my sheer love of Christian books that has led me to share my thoughts and reviews more publicly. However, for several months now, I have encountered so much friction on my social media account that it's made sharing content all the more difficult, especially since the majority of people interact with me over there rather th