Skip to main content

Review: Captured in Frame: Bite of Betrayal #1

Captured in Frame book cover on blue background

In reading the premise of this book, I was definitely intrigued off the bat. A Canadian in the English countryside? A peaceful little cottage that is not as it seems? Suspicious activities that need an answer? Sign me up for this British mystery! Captured in Frame is the first in the Bite of Betrayal series by Laura Thomas, set in the typically quaint village of Bramble Downs.

Many thanks to Mountain Brook Ink for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of: scenes of violence and death, infidelity and marital breakdown, depression and suicide, miscarriages and infertility

Book Synopsis

In an idyllic village nestled in the English countryside, photographer Georgia Brooks is desperate to begin a new chapter in her life. Bramble Cottage was supposed to give her space to heal and hope again after suffering betrayal and rejection by the only man she ever loved. This was Georgia’s chance to rekindle her faith and reconnect with her sisters in a place that held sweet childhood memories—not expose herself to the ugly underbelly of the art world and put her family in danger.

Local pediatric surgeon, Doctor William Hughes, is captivated by the Canadian beauty with a camera over one shoulder and the weight of the world on the other. After suffering his own tragic loss and balancing a demanding career with raising a toddler, he recognizes the heaviness of grief . . . and the burden of guilt.

When Georgia discovers she could be in possession of incriminating evidence to frame a criminal ring, she needs to trust someone. She chooses Will. Postcards, photographs, paintings—something about Bramble Cottage is worth killing for. Can Georgia uncover the truth in time?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I love the bucolic setting and even more charming characters in this book set in the English countryside. With Georgia looking for a fresh start after experiencing horrific trials and tragedies, it's lovely that she gets to be near her siblings again, whom I enjoyed meeting in the book. Coupled with meeting Will, a kind doctor who exudes care and genuine friendship, it seems like the perfect arrangement for a new life; however, this plan doesn't last long. Riddled with shocking discoveries and suspense, this book had me interested in what would happen next.

Though Georgia’s stubborn independence repeatedly puts herself and others in harm’s way, I appreciate that she turns to God on countless occasions. The fact that Will also stops to pray continually throughout the book definitely enhances the story, allowing a glimpse into the hearts of those who have suffered loss and grief. The content is fairly heavy, yet the book still conveys a sense of hope. Readers who are interested in the story of a photographer finding love in England amidst danger and suspense will enjoy the journey that this book takes them on as murders are solved and mysteries are untangled.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: October 9, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabilit...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...