Skip to main content

Taken for Granted

Bible laying on sand in front of driftwood and ocean

Ever since I've had to undertake water conversation measures, I've been wondering what things in life that I take for granted. I'll be honest; water was something that I just assumed would be available for me whenever and wherever I needed it. After a few weeks of reducing water consumption, I've realized the following:

  • Conserving water is not new to me, but somewhere along the way, I grew lax, believing that I didn't need to be as diligent in not being wasteful.
  • It can take considerably more effort to reduce the amount of water I use, but it's worth it to think about those who need water even more.
  • Water is something that I can use without thinking, but when it's scarce, it's almost all I can think about.
Since water is connected to survival, I am immensely grateful that I still have access to drinking water and can live with the inconveniences for however long it takes due to that knowledge.

In a very roundabout way, this past month has been teaching me about gratitude and a change in perspective. Rather than grumbling, I've worked to reframe my situation, held my tongue when others have expressed their opinions, and generally given this matter up to God in my own life, knowing that He is the giver of life and resources. If anything, this has been such a good lesson for me in better understanding why it is that we are not to complain like Philippians 2:12-18 exhorts us:

Do Everything Without Grumbling

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me.

In reflecting on the behaviours that people can take on in response to limiting water usage, I've found that those who blame, are overly critical, or are downright caustic aren't the most pleasant to be around. This has been a wakeup call that I don't want to be like that regarding any of the areas in my life where there is temporary hardship. Instead, I want to exhibit thankfulness and seek what's good in the midst of trial.

One of the areas where it hit me that I might also be taking things for granted has been with Christian books. It wasn't until after this water crisis arrived that I thought about just how ubiquitously I treat the ability to access, own, and read Christian books. Like water, I've just always been surrounded by them. I can pick up a Christian book whenever I want to, and I don't have to think too hard about how I can access other Christian books.

While books are quite minor and insignificant compared to water (by no means am I making a fair comparison!), I think it's the attitude that I want to examine more closely. The more cavalier I get about being able to have Christian books, the less likely I am to appreciate everything that goes into the production of one book. First, there is the author whom God plants a seed in and nudges to write something from a Christian worldview. Second, there are those supporting the authors so that they have the time and resources to get words down on paper. Third, it's the publishers or the platforms, and so much more in between and all the way until the book enters a reader's hands. All of that, together, in order to bring forth words of edification.

There are so many things in life that don't come about easily, but when there is no friction between us and the item, it's easy to dismiss or disregard everything that is involved. I hope that I will look at water quite differently going forward, along with other wonderful things in my life like Christian books. Though there are many things that can be problematic with Christian books, the existence of them in the first place because of what Christ has done for us, is absolutely amazing and mind-blowing. That I get to read and write in the language where the most number of Christian materials can be found is no minor thing. That I have disposable income to spend on books is also no minor thing. I cannot thank God enough for His gifts—those needed to survive and those that add enjoyment and pleasure to life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Double Takes

Continuing on the theme of books that can be labourious to get through, I've been coming across more and more content in Christian fiction that has me scratching my head, though they don't necessarily always affect the rating of the book (unless they're all piled on egregiously or something, but that hasn't happened yet). To be honest, a double take is usually the extent of what I give these mentions, but I do find it interesting that there is a bit of a shift in what can be included in Christian fiction nowadays. There are just a few of the ones that have stood out to me over the past while, though I'm sure there could be more added to the list as well. Luck/chance . I have caught myself in the past wishing someone "good luck" even though I don't believe in it, so I've tried to shift to saying things like, "all the best" or "I'll be thinking of you," even if it's a little longer or more awkward to say. All that to say,

Review: It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - Christmas in Garland Collection #3

As I've been reading the Christmas in Garland series , I've discovered that A.M. Heath is not afraid to tackle uncomfortable subjects in her books, making them relatable and realistic. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear is a special story set at Christmastime that is even more meaningful with the impending birth of a baby. Book Synopsis Can a cozy inn at Christmas transform the troubled hearts seeking refuge there? Pregnant and alone, Alissa Hill moved to Garland, Tennessee to help at her aunt’s inn. When a guest brings her hidden past to the inn’s door, she must decide whether to face it or continue to run. A career-ending injury ruined Stephen Powell’s life plans. Now a former NFL kicker, he’s searching for a new purpose while recovering at the Cheery Inn. But those at the inn may offer him so much more than he expects. Sparks fly the moment Alissa and Stephen meet, but secrets and regrets may keep them apart unless they can learn to forgive and move beyond their brokenness. Sour

Labouring Away

On this Labour Day, I've been wondering if and when reading begins to feel like work. For the most part, reading is a very enjoyable activity for me, which is why I engage in it as often as I can. There are times, however, when I've noticed that reading can be a bit of a slog. Though I try not to dwell on it, this has been a helpful signal to me to be better about not completing books that fall into this category. I don't have an extensive list, but here are a few things that can make reading a book begin to feel laboursome: Too many typos . I feel like this is universal amongst all readers, so I'll leave it at that. Too many complications . When so many characters get introduced or the plot lines are quite convoluted, this can make reading less pleasurable. A lot of pop culture references . A few well-placed ones that enhance the story or make it relatable to the audience is fine; however, when I'm reading a book and it starts to feel like a tabloid magazine where