Skip to main content

Review: The Love Penalty - Northwest Ice #2

The Love Penalty book cover on blue background

My goal was to complete The Love Penalty by Carolyn Miller by the time the Edmonton Oilers were finished playing in the playoffs, so it worked out that they were able to play a few extra games so that I could catch up 😄

Content to be aware of: as this book does delve into the worldview of an unbeliever, there is content that is aligned to this mindset; triggers are also present, although I would recommend doing some research on Goodreads if this may concern you.

Book Synopsis

Sometimes there's a heavy price to pay when two opposites attract...

With her fondness for tattoos and spider jewelry Sylvie Miles is used to being pre-judged and misunderstood. She has friends and connections but she still feels alone, and works several jobs while daydreaming about finding a guy who sees further than skin deep and won’t shy away from her battered heart. So when a hot pro hockey player with a smile as vast as his skills takes a shine to her what’s a poor girl to do but fall in love?

Ryan Guillemette sure wasn’t looking for romance in a bookstore in his hometown but quickly becomes intrigued by the sassy Goth-like assistant with a snarky way with words. When an accidental kiss proves dangerously addictive she soon becomes embedded in his heart, but even as the romance heats up he’s torn as she’s not following God. Can these two opposites make a match or should he call a permanent time out?

These two are about to learn that those who play with fire get burned, and there’s a hefty price to pay for forbidden attraction.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Ever since I got to meet Sylvie in The Breakup Project, I have wondered about her story, so I'm thankful that another reader suggested this to the author! Sylvie is one of those characters that you don't normally see in Christian fiction, so it felt a lot more realistic to hear her side of things. This book is definitely grittier and may be beyond a few readers' comfort levels; however, it demonstrates that the power of God's redemption in a fallen world is not beyond anybody. I admit that there were some difficult scenes, but it was so worth it to see how everything played out. If you're wanting to see beauty come from ashes, this is one of those books where wading through messiness brings you to God's cleansing love.

The Love Penalty excels in sharing how God's grace covers over a multitude of sins, allowing us to always come back to Him; if you think about the title, it does extend beyond hockey. I recommend this book to those who want to see how Jesus can bring about complete transformation and new life in His followers. Sylvie and Ryan's journey isn't easy, and there are a lot of lessons to be learnt, making this both a compelling and convicting read. At the same time, their story is likely reflective of a lot of people who have struggles in their relationships, including Christians.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...