Skip to main content

Review: The Cavern Under the Lake - The Mapscape Adventures #0.5

The Cavern Under the Lake book cover on blue background

Cartography has always been a field I've been interested in, not for myself, but just in general. Thankfully, I've known some cartographers since, so it's been fascinating to learn about all that goes into both the art and science of this work. Having a little bit of that exposure makes the The Cavern Under the Lake by A.D. Downton even more intriguing to read, though it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of mapmaking to appreciate it.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Content to be aware of for children and youth: language (mild expletives that are more commonly used in the UK such as "da**" and "a**", and God's name used in vain by characters who do not profess Him), drinking, smoking

Book Synopsis

The best explorers speak of a power in nature. Not everyone can see it, not everyone can feel it, but it’s there, and it’s dying...

Seeing is believing. That was the world as Levi understood it. But when a young boy goes missing around a mysterious frozen lake, the lone cartographer gets drawn to the edge of a hidden world. A world of stubborn townsfolk, ruthless industry and a stream that never freezes.

Meanwhile, the missing boy, Sigmund, attends a journey of his own. At the hands of a frozen Viking come to life, Sigmund is shown the power of his ancestral inheritance. But that power is fading, and the terrible mark of frostbite is closing in.

The age of exploration is still very much alive in the 1800s, but Levi and Sigmund must both put their convictions aside if their Arctic world stands any hope of surviving…

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This is a riveting debut from novelist A.D. Downton, where readers have the opportunity to experience an Arctic adventure in a fully-fleshed out world, starting with an introduction to the quirky townspeople of Tväre. As a result, there is an impending sense that things are culminating toward something that will forever shift the town. The author paints a wonderfully cold atmosphere that plunges temperatures right down while readers follow Levi, a cartographer; Elvera, a tough but kind woman; and Sigmund, her spirited son, around Lake Tväre. This book is a surprising combination of a spiritual allegory and a realistic scenario of industrialization being played out. The hints of Viking folklore and some of the mysterious happenings under the lake provide a touch of fantasy while many events are rooted within our realm.

I loved how everything came together for the cartographer with enough suspense and twists to keep me engaged in this adventure. My favourite character is Minister Toro, who ends up with some of the best lines in the book. It is well worth reading just to see how he handles himself amongst the other townspeople. This is the type of book that calls younger men to become better people with spiritual lessons referenced throughout. If you're looking for a Christian fantasy and want to see a tale that weaves in stewardship, a sense of belonging, and a connection to the land, The Cavern Under the Lake is a journey that will take you to unexpected places and scenes.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: October 9, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabilit...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...