Skip to main content

ARC Madness

stacks of books against clock with a bird resting on top of book stack

Alright, it's not really madness, but it is a catchy wordplay off of March Madness. I even remember seeing people work through their ARCs back in March, with a few creative folks creating brackets out of the books they read. I haven't done that with the books I've read yet as I'd have such a difficult time choosing between two really good books, so I'd probably just have a bunch of winners instead.

I've been missing in action a little over the past while, not due to disinterest, but more so because I have taken on additional employment and my days are quite full. It wasn't so long ago that I had a lot of spare time to create and write to my heart's delight; however, I have to be a lot more judicious about how I use my time now. It's a good season to be in, though, and I'm grateful that God has allowed me to both have enough leisure time so that I could launch this blog, and now more work time so that I can be better about not wasting spare moments.

And what have my spare moments mostly consisted of this past month? Well, to be honest, it's been equal parts dread at how I should have used my time better in previous months to whittle down my ARC pile, and excitement in getting to discover new titles and authors. In a list of things that I do badly that I shared to my Instagram account, I alluded to how I have a difficult time saying no to ARC requests. I imagine I always will because I'd hate to miss out on a new favourite book; however, I've discovered that it might not be so bad to have the deadlines of book releases to prod me along to reading as much as I can whenever possible. Given my long list of ARCs to read and their upcoming release dates, it's certainly lit a fire under me to stop procrastinating (maybe that's just human nature, haha!).

I don't think I have a sweet spot for the number of ARCs I can handle yet, but I have seen that no matter how many titles I take off my list and add, it seems that I'm consistently at around a baker's dozen. Some of these ARCs are quite old, but those are the ones I've noticed that I don't feel as inclined to read compared to those that will be coming out soon. The pressure of keeping up review scores is also an added incentive. Thankfully, when my list is in double digits, I try to refrain from requesting more, but whenever I dip down into single digits, I somehow take this to be a green light, leaving me in a pickle again when some of the requests are approved 😄

I've also noticed that as I share more reviews, I'm blessed in that authors have been reaching out to me about their books, and that for the most part, a lot of these books do resonate with me. It's been such a great adventure in finding these amazing titles, so I definitely don't want to discourage these types of requests. If anything, I just need to be more disciplined these days in getting the reviews out on time. I do write them quite quickly after finishing a title, but I usually have to devote a chunk of time to get them ready to share. I haven't yet found ways to more automate this process, so I am very appreciative of people's patience with them. One day I'll figure out a solution to avoid being on the computer as much as possible!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...