Skip to main content

Wedding Scenes

groom in navy suit and bride holding pink and white roses with intertwined arms

I've had the pleasure of reading some lovely wedding scenes lately and it had me thinking about books that choose to include them. In noticing that a lot of the romances I read tend to end with either the couple finally confirming their relationship or possibly an engagement if there is an epilogue, I'm usually left wanting to know what the wedding will look like.

If there happens to be any wedding scene, it may be from the perspective of a character in the next book in the series, such as a bridesmaid or family member as a segue into their own story. However, I've found that when I get to read fuller descriptions of a wedding from either the bride or the groom's point of view that it seems to make the book feel more complete. That's not to say that a wedding should always be included, especially if the timing doesn't make sense, but they are wonderful to read about.

In terms of Christian weddings, I've always been curious as to how authors convey this. Sometimes it may be through a pastor's wedding sermon. Other times, it may be Christian music that is played. I imagine that there are all types of things that could happen in a ceremony, but I would love to know what scenes other readers have enjoyed seeing most.

For me personally, I always love it when the couple worships God together during the ceremony. Other things I like to read about are when the couple take communion together or certain Scripture is read. Because there are so many directions that a ceremony can go, has any author ever written in what happened in their own wedding?

I'll be honest in that if a wedding could work out in the book's timeline but it doesn't take place, I'm a little sad when all I see is a declaration of love, but without anything else. I'll sometimes watch for this if there are only a few pages left and there is still all this angst or unresolved issues between the male and female main characters—it can get a little agonizing 😄

I'm grateful that though marriage is in a way a culmination of events in a couple's life that this isn't where it ends. While I love the sense of being ushered into something new, I also know that a wedding is not the perfect panacea in life. Christ is. But what a wonderful picture of the ultimate wedding to come!

Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roar of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting:

“Hallelujah!

    For our Lord God Almighty reigns.

Let us rejoice and be glad

    and give him glory!

For the wedding of the Lamb has come,

    and his bride has made herself ready.

Fine linen, bright and clean,

    was given her to wear.”

(Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of God’s holy people.)

Then the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!” And he added, “These are the true words of God.”

- Revelation 19:6-9

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...