Skip to main content

Review: Muffalettas and Murders - Small Town Girl Mysteries #1

Muffalettas and Murder book cover on blue background

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to read Muffalettas and Murder from the Small Town Girl Mysteries series by Jann Franklin. Not only was it fun to try to solve a mystery, but I sure got hungrier and hungrier as the book progressed!

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Evangeline Delafose is finding Graisseville, Louisiana just as she remembered—boring and uneventful. Until her brother Nate asks her to help solve a murder.

Follow Ev as she navigates clues, dead bodies, and quirky small-town residents to solve a mystery. And of course, show her little brother that she's still got it.

If you like cozy mysteries with twists and turns, deep South settings, and a hint of romance, you’ll love this series! Let’s not forget quirky yet charming characters who remind you of family—sometimes you want to hug them, and sometimes you want to disown them. Enjoy small town Graisseville with Ev as she solves crime with help from her family and friends. This is a clean faith based read with no profanity, sex, or graphic violence.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

I really enjoyed this cozy mystery with spirited characters and a plot that kept me guessing until the end. I thought the immersion into Cajun culture, food, and language were all fascinating and that Evangeline Delafose was one spunky author turned detective. It's apparent just how much people care for her as a widow, as the town of Graisseville welcomes her back in their quirky ways. Her inner thoughts made for lighthearted humour, especially regarding Shorty, her own private investigator. Now, he would be an interesting character to get to know; it would be quite the journey to go inside his mind!

Told in first person, readers definitely feel like they are along for the ride. The twists and turns create an engaging adventure as readers attempt to solve the murder and piece the clues together. Christian faith is brought up at various points, and it's clear that Evangeline follows the Lord. I liked that this had an influence on Shorty and how, in turn, he changes his behaviour for the better and starts to come around to the things of God. This mystery is fun and plays out like a scene from Miss Marple, with lots of Cajun flavour thrown into the mix.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Review: The Biblio Diet

Over the years, I've had the joy of reading many books on health and nutrition, partly a product of some studies I've done on it and also due to personal interest. As a result, I'm always intrigued when there is a Christian perspective on this subject. I'm grateful that I learnt about The Biblio Diet by Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe after having previously read Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe. Many thanks to Worthy Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In this breakthrough book, New York Times bestselling authors and nutrition experts Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe offer a simple and holistic plan for building strength, health, and longevity. Based on the ancient wisdom of the Bible and confirmed by modern science, The Biblio Diet’s intuitive and easy-to-follow plan invites you to experience a breakthrough in the health of your entire family by learning to eat and live God’s way. In this book, y...

Review: Between Stairs and Stardust: Finding Ever After #1

One of the things I wish I could do is to take advantage of past Kindle releases that are no longer available. Unfortunately, this was the case with Finding Ever After , which was released four years ago. While it's no longer possible to find this book again, some authors have made their novellas available separately, which is what I found with Pepper Basham 's story called Between Stairs and Stardust . From all of my searching, I believe that hers is the only one that can be purchased as a physical copy, although the second story, Entanglements by Rachel McMillan, is available on Kindle. I'm not sure how to track down the other two stories, but imagine how lovely this collection would be as a paperback! Book Synopsis An illustrator in hiding A millionaire with a gardening fascination And the possibility of a perfect fit for a happily-ever-after Once upon a time… A young illustrator, forced from her home in Boston, must return to her Blue Ridge Mountains to escape a scanda...