Skip to main content

Spiritual Pathways

Bibles beside blank lined paper and writing instruments on top of wooden table

I'm not a huge proponent of personality tests or assessments, although I've had to undergo plenty of them for school and in the workplace. They can be limiting at best, and don't always account for changes in people's lives. A few of them even have dubious origins, which is why I've steered clear of them. 

However, in a few of the ministries I've served with, I've been asked to take the Sacred Pathways inventory (also known as spiritual pathways on other websites) from Gary Thomas to determine how I best connect with God. I'm not necessarily advocating this book as I don't typically subscribe to this type of thinking, but I find it interesting that when I take a look at the options provided, I can easily see which one I gravitate toward without having to go through a questionnaire. The nine pathways that Thomas explores include:

  • Nature
  • Enthusiastic Worship
  • Learning
  • Tradition
  • Asceticism
  • Sensation
  • Caregiving
  • Social Justice
  • Quiet Prayer
While I'm fully aware that learning is how I feel closest to God, I also recognize that I can't let that pathway become my everything. As much as I love reading the Bible and Christian books and filling my mind with knowledge, it also has to translate into something outside of my head.

Where this assessment has helped me is to recognize that how I'm wired is not something I need to be ashamed of. At the same time, I also don't need to beat myself up for not feeling as much of a connection to say, nature or enthusiastic worship. Even though I'm not a major adherent of this teaching, I can see how it can still be beneficial to other believers who may feel like the pathway they most often use might not be reflected within their own family or church.

I appreciate that learning has always been a significant part of my life. My Christian walk has been strengthened over the years as a result of studying the Word and finding amazing Christian resources to help me better understand who Jesus Christ is. While I don't have too many people in my personal life who have similar tendencies as I do, it is so refreshing to find a community of Christian learners online.

If anyone is interested in taking the Spiritual Pathways personal assessment, here is one of the websites that I have been referred to from Group Leaders (this one only has seven pathways, but Soul Shepherding offers one with nine). Since contemplative spirituality is not my jam, I only use this information as affirmation that it's okay to feel connected to God through learning, rather than fully diving in and exploring every single facet of what my particular pathway means. That doesn't mean that others can't, especially as Group Leaders does have an action component after contemplation, which more speaks to me.

For Christians who resonate with the following statement, you're not alone. "I feel close to God when I participate in hours of uninterrupted study time, reading God's Word or Christian books." What a delight to know that there may be others who feel the same way as I do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...