Skip to main content

Review: The Lady with the Dark Hair

The Lady with the Dark Hair book cover on blue background

Happy release day to The Lady with the Dark Hair by Erin Bartels! 🎨

Many thanks to Revell Books and LibraryThing for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Thoughts content is also posted on LibraryThing.

Book Synopsis

Esther Markstrom and her artist mother have always been proud of their ancestor, painter Francisco Vella. They even run a small museum and gallery dedicated to raising awareness of his scandalously underappreciated work. But when Esther reconnects with her former art history professor, she finds her once-solid family history on shaky ground as questions arise about Vella's greatest work--a portrait entitled The Lady with the Dark Hair.

In 1879, Catalan orphan-turned-fugitive Viviana Torrens has found sanctuary serving in the home of an aging artist in Southern France. It is in his studio that she meets Francisco Vella, a Gibraltarian merchant who sells artists' pigments. When her past catches up to her, she is compelled to pose as Vella's sister and join him on his travels or be deported back to Spain to stand trial. Along the way she will discover that the many parts she has been playing in order to hide her identity have far-reaching implications she never could have foreseen.

This dual-timeline story from award-winning author Erin Bartels takes readers from the sleepy Midwest to the sultry Mediterranean on a relentless search for truth, identity, and the freedom to follow one's dreams.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

As a historical fiction novel, this book delivers in terms of pacing, interest, and character development. I loved getting to know Esther Markstrom and discovering the parallels between her story and that of Vivienne Torrens. Seeing both women confined by different circumstances and seeking ways to emerge from them with purpose and grace, I could appreciate how the act of painting conveyed this struggle. Both women paint with longing and hope beyond what’s present, and Erin Bartels deftly explores this through richly detailed landscapes.

Faith is not prominent in The Lady with the Dark Hair, though the Catholic faith is referenced a handful of times along with mentions of the Bible regarding Esther’s namesake. If you are looking for a clean historical fiction book, this is an encouraging story of what it means to be a caregiver and how to live beyond limiting barriers, physically and emotionally. The dual-timeline narrative moves quickly, which adds movement and action to a family history that contains multiple twists and turns. I liked that the focus of the story was not on romance but rather on breaking free at various points in history. Esther and Vivienne embody faithfulness and perseverance without becoming martyrs, demonstrating a deeper strength, which we, as Christians, can see comes from God.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place. It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...