Skip to main content

Review: The Cryptographer's Dilemma

The Cryptographer's Dilemma book cover on blue background

I've been seeing The Cryptographer's Dilemma appear on Bookstagram ever since it launched and I'm glad that I finally had the opportunity to read it. I admit that it also moved up my TBR pile a little after discovering that Jillian Lancour is Johnnie Alexander's daughter. Since I've really enjoyed Jillian's content, I knew I would be in for a treat (especially since I'm such a fan of espionage books!).

Book Synopsis

A Code Developer Uncovers a Japanese Spy Ring

Full of intrigue, adventure, and romance, this new series celebrates the unsung heroes―the heroines of WWII. FBI cryptographer Eloise Marshall is grieving the death of her brother, who died during the attack on Pearl Harbor, when she is assigned to investigate a seemingly innocent letter about dolls. 

Agent Phillip Clayton is ready to enlist and head oversees when asked to work one more FBI job. A case of coded defense coordinates related to dolls should be easy, but not so when the Japanese Consulate gets involved, hearts get entangled, and Phillip goes missing.

Can Eloise risk loving and losing again?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book had such an intriguing premise around a real-life spy during the Second World War who lived in the United States. I appreciated this glimpse into American history following the events of Pearl Harbour, along with the intricate workings of the FBI. Since I don't want to give too much of the plot away and reveal some of the mysteries to be solved, I'll share how much I enjoyed the characters of Eloise and Philip. I loved that both of them were skilled in their vocations and brought a lot to the table, professionally and personally. Not only did their skills complement each other, their personalities helped them to act as a real team, unified in mission and looking out for one another.

The multiple perspectives added interest and depth to the story, and the adventures across the United States made for an action-packed read. It was lovely to see both characters attribute the workings of their lives to God, and though the themes of faith are subtle, they reinforce God's sovereignty and timing. For anyone who enjoys reading about code breaking and espionage as much as I do, this is a thrilling tale around a true war story and one that remains memorable after the book is finished.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Review: Jesus Ate Carbs

It can be easy to think that we just need the right ingredients, meals, and diet plans that will suddenly transform our bodies. However, Jesus Ate Carbs by Abbie Frye probes deeper beyond a physical transformation to a spiritual one that invites God into every aspect of our lives. Obviously not limited to carbs (and acknowledging that allergies exist), this book is one that makes us probe a little deeper about why we eat, what needing to eat says about our relationship with our Creator, and how we can eat in alignment with His original design for it. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : heavy reliance on Ruth Haley Barton; theology around sentence of “God reveres us and is in awe of us ” (pg. 130); contemplative spirituality practices; direct messages from God to the author, such as “God told me that He has me in the ministry of reconciliation” (pg. 180)...