Skip to main content

Review: The Cairo Curse - A Freddie and Grace Mystery #2

The Cairo Curse book cover on blue background

When I asked readers to help me choose a Christian historical fiction book to read last fall, The Cairo Curse by Pepper Basham won. It took me a little longer to pick it up, but I'm glad that I had the opportunity to discover what happens with Freddie and Grace as they embark on their honeymoon. For those mentioning that this book looked adventurous, they were correct!

Book Synopsis

Clue meets Indiana Jones with a fiction-loving twist only Grace Percy can provide.

Newlyweds Lord and Lady Astley have already experienced their fair-share of suspense, but when a honeymoon trip takes a detour to the mystical land of Egypt, not even Grace with her fiction-loving mind is prepared for the dangers in store. From an assortment of untrustworthy adventure-seekers to a newly discovered tomb with a murderous secret, Frederick and Grace must lean on each other to navigate their dangerous surroundings. As the suspects mount in an antiquities’ heist of ancient proportions, will Frederick and Grace’s attempts to solve the mystery lead to another death among the sands?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

After reading about the adventures of Lord and Lady Astley in The Mistletoe Countess, I was excited to learn that there would be more stories of their married life. The Cairo Curse certainly provided a dose of mayhem and mystery, most notably in the second half of the book. While the first half sets up the plot and the characters including their back stories – much like a Poirot mystery – the following scenes are packed with non-stop action as the murders keep taking place and Freddie and Grace rush to solve them. Amidst everything that is happening, we get to meet characters like Elliott and Zahra, who add a sparkling dimension to an already vibrant story.

The Christian faith is clearly evident; however, as the setting of the book is in Egypt, readers should be aware that there are also references to curses (which is obvious from the title), idol worship, and palm reading. Grace only seems to have a mild curiosity in these religious practices, akin to her fascination with learning hieroglyphics and Egyptian culture, but it bears a mention. Apart from this, God's saving grace and His redemption are strong themes in the book. It is worth reading to see how Freddie and Grace fare, especially as they grow in their marriage and communication.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📖
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...