Skip to main content

Review: Rescuing the Rock Star - Kendall Family #2

Rescuing the Rock Star book cover on blue background

I had the opportunity to read Saving the CEO when it first came out and really enjoyed this new series from Liwen Y. Ho. After reading Devin Kendall's story, I've been waiting to read more about his identical twin, Jace Kendall, in Rescuing the Rock Star.

Many thanks to the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

It’s time for this rock star to settle down …

Fame, fortune, and fans—Jace Kendall has it all. Yet, he still feels like something is missing from his life. After the thrill of success starts to wane, he runs into his first love who left him without a word a decade ago. To his surprise, she mistakes him for his twin brother, an assumption he doesn’t correct for fear that she might disappear again.

If Leah Parker wasn’t so desperate, she wouldn’t have befriended the brother of the man she once had a summer fling with. She’d never wanted to hinder Jace’s future, which is why she stopped contacting him when his career took off. But her daughter’s life-threatening illness forces her to ask the Kendall family for help and reveals the secret she’s been keeping for years.

When the media catches wind of their past, Jace and Leah not only have to deal with the fallout but also with their undeniable chemistry. Can they learn to trust each other enough to plan a future together?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Jace Kendall's story has certainly been worth the wait, and getting to meet Leah and Ella on top of that has been delightful. This book was an insightful journey into disease management and that of addiction recovery. Despite these heavier themes, Liwen Y. Ho keeps the story engaging and hopeful. Her ability to write character-driven stories once again shines as we learn about the inner motivations and struggles of a former rock star, a single mom, and a child going through a chronic health condition. For readers who are familiar with birth order and the role they can play in families, this book is a continuation of the previous one where that theme is further explored. Even though Jace is an identical twin and tries to use this to his advantage, we are able to glimpse into his heart and see him as an individual, distinct from his brother.

What I loved most about this book was the refreshing lack of miscommunication. In situations where the characters can find themselves acting on incorrect information or not relaying pertinent details, this was completely avoided. As a reader, this signaled to me the maturity of the characters as they demonstrated a willingness to have difficult conversations instead of taking the easy way out. I am grateful that both Jace and Leah owned up to their behaviour and that they demonstrated Christ-like attributes while doing so. Reading stories like this is both a balm and a source of inspiration that we can learn and grow from our past. The Kendall family is not perfect, but they care for one another in their own unique ways. Plus, if you've read Liwen's other books, you'll see some great cameo appearances. I look forward to reading Bekah's story next!

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...