Skip to main content

Review: Friends with the Hero - Heroes of Freedom Ridge #10

Friends with the Hero book cover on blue background

At the pace I'm going, I might just finish the Heroes of Freedom Ridge series this year! Friends with the Hero was my first introduction to Jessie Gussman, and I look forward to her next book in the series.

Book Synopsis

Can a chance encounter with a former childhood best friend be the start of a beautiful romance?

When volunteer firefighter Frank “Tuck” Tucker responds to a false alarm in the middle of the night at the new bake shop in town, he doesn’t expect to come face to face with his childhood best friend. In her nightgown no less.

He also didn’t expect to get hired as her new assistant. But that happened, too. Along with an odd tingling in his hand when they shook that didn’t used to be there when they dug for crawfish down by the creek. But he needs a job and hers was the only place in town hiring. She didn’t seem to care that his former career as a smoke jumper didn’t provide much experience in baking cakes.

Patience Martel isn’t sure what caused her smoke alarm to go off, but she’s grateful for the malfunction. She hadn’t seen Tuck since her school days, and she was thrilled to actually have someone in her shop she could trust not to steal her blind, unlike her ex. She won her court case against him, but he’d already spent the money he’d stolen and she ended up with nothing but a bunch of lawyer’s fees.

Even if he’s never made anything but mud pies and river stew, Tuck is a sight for sore eyes. Could he also be just what her aching heart needs, too?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

This book offers one of the loveliest treatments of the friends to lovers trope that I have come across. What I loved most was that the trope wasn't forced, nor was it the central theme of the story. This book was mostly centered around the theme of being still and knowing that He is God (Psalm 46:10). Tuck and Patience's story shows what this verse looks like in their individual lives and as a couple, which really drove the verse home. Their ensuing love story was definitely the icing on a solid cake (literally, as Patience is a baker!).

I also appreciated that this book realistically tackled what it meant to be wronged and the subsequent fallout from being victimized. I've found that this series isn't afraid to get into the messiness of life, showing how God can work through them or despite them. His greater purposes are always referenced, and Jessie Gussman's book is no exception. Tuck and Patience not only have to grapple with difficult circumstances, but they also show how we can emerge even stronger when relying on God instead of our usual behaviour. I loved how this book emphasized character growth over physical forms of attraction, as it felt like the character's friendship deepened even further to set them up for a healthy and thriving relationship.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...