Skip to main content

Faithful Friday: Across the Spectrum

Across the Spectrum book on white doily

Can you tell that I really enjoy reading theology books? 😀 Across the Spectrum is one of the most helpful books I've found in helping me to understand the different viewpoints of Christians on all manner of topics. Now in its third edition, I think this volume is still one of the most concise yet dense books out there that lays out the arguments for opposing sides along with objections for each stance. The authors cover everything from Calvinism and Arminianism to charismatic gifts to women in ministry and beyond, so there is no shortage of opposing views. I would say this book is an introduction to understanding these debated matters, but with enough information to get readers started if there is a topic that is weighing heavily on their heart.

I appreciate that this book not only exposes me to other theological understandings, but it also shows the issues that my own understanding might pose. This was a textbook for one of my theology classes where the professor had students choose the side that they believed, and then have us argue in favour of the opposing side. It was certainly eye-opening to convince others of doctrine I either disagreed with or was unfamiliar with at the time! As a result of this exercise, I haven't held onto non-essential doctrines as tightly as I might have, which has given me the opportunity to learn from Christians of various denominations. If anything, this book reveals all that we don't know about the workings of God, but that we have much to look forward to in eternity when we encounter God and the full body of believers.

In sharing older theology books (this copy is 22 years old!), one of the things I've had to be careful about is that sometimes, the theologian may have changed their stance on particular issues or is now teaching something quite different. I've been saddened to hear of some theologians who are walking away from the faith, so if I ever highlight a book and that has happened to the author, please let me know. I didn't come across anything like that for these authors in my research, but I'm also open to blind spots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian as a Genre

I've always found it interesting that Christianity as its own genre can be used across music, film, books, and virtually most forms of artistic or creative expression. While most secular items tend to be labelled by their style, works produced by Christians tend to get labelled by the faith of the one producing it. I remember seeing an article years ago about how the Grammys  put Christian artists under the genre of Gospel and Contemporary Christian who would then be further separated out by their musical style, such as Gospel, Bluegrass, Rock, Pop, Country, etc. I can't recall the specifics of the article, but I believe that the author of the article thought it was both a little unfair that artists would be lumped together in a giant pool despite varying styles or backgrounds, and that it was also a label that didn't really tell audiences what they would be getting, other than Christian content. I wish I could remember a bit more, but as I read it in passing, the only thou...