Skip to main content

Review: The Letter

The Letter book cover on blue background

January 27 is International Holocaust Remembrance Day. It is a day to remember the victims of the Holocaust and an ever-present reminder of how much God's chosen people have suffered throughout their history. In light of that, The Letter by April Barcalow was a fitting book for me to read for this upcoming Saturday. If you're interested in reading this as well, it is available for free to newsletter subscribers.

Book Synopsis

When a letter mistakenly makes its way to Elly’s door, an unlikely friendship grows between herself and a young stranger, Pieter. Pieter has recently lost his mother and Elly has always wished for a son–perhaps it was God’s will that they found one another. But over months of correspondence, Elly begins to suspect the truth about who Pieter is. She must find the courage to go on being a shining candle to the very man who holds the power to extinguish her light. Pieter is at odds with himself, his family, and his nation. He is convinced that the only way to a strong and healthy Netherlands is through radical means. But Elly’s gentle guidance shows him a different way. When he finds himself at a crossroads, he must choose: will he save Elly, or hold fast to his ideals?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

The Letter may be novella-sized, but there is a deep richness that lies within its pages. This book is the perfect length as so much is covered within the story without sacrificing any content, pacing, or plot. Written in both narrative and epistolary styles, readers get to know Elly and Pieter individually and together as they develop a relationship through letters over time. A number of historical events take place throughout their exchanges, which the author expounds upon in the note at the end of the novella. Knowing that there is family history embedded into this book not only makes it feel more real, but it is a powerful reminder that stories can get lost if it's not preserved. Each of the smallest pictures of what life was like in Holland during the Second World War is vividly captured, bringing readers into scenes of potato cakes and tire-less bicycles.

Beyond the historical details, there is a profoundly spiritual theme that ties all of the pieces together in this story. Without giving it away, it's a call to Christians about the type of life we can live while remembering those who have suffered because of their relationship to God. The events we are facing today may be different in context from the Second World War, but they are the same when it comes to our hearts. If you are looking for historical fiction that tugs at your heart without shying away from the grim realities of war and pervading anti-Semitism, this is a book that will keep stirring in your mind long after finishing it.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

The Rise and Fall

I've shared before that being on Threads has been an interesting experience. It's certainly helpful in better understanding book trends as a whole, but a lot of the controversies I read about about are—in a word—awful. Awful for readers and authors alike, which is somehow a unique shared experience. I suppose that with symbiosis, when one falters, it affects the other. I'm likely not alone in my observation that there appears to be a lot more authors who are caught in the crosshairs of being popular one day and then being cancelled the next day. It's an interesting phenomenon where, with shared accountability, there is an increased demand that authors get things right, which I can't fault or disagree with. However, the speed at which the tides turn amazes me where people will spend a lot of time and resources on a particular author, only to "dump" them as soon as there is a hint (or more, way more) of controversy. I'm not questioning whether it's l...