Skip to main content

Review: Dear Daughter

Dear Daughter book cover on blue background

After reading a powerful post about what it means to write Christian fiction, I was intrigued by the premise of Dear Daughter by Kassandra Garrison, along with the role that this book played in the author's life and writing.

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Understanding her past may be the key to her future...

When Olivia Larson finally escaped her childhood home and abusive mother, she never imagined she would have to relive the trauma of her past. Yet, after complications during childbirth, God sends Olivia on a journey back through her life. Desperately, she scrambles to hear God in the midst of her memories. With every moment she relives, Olivia draws closer to a life-changing realization, one that will forever alter how she loves herself, others, and God. Will it be too late for Olivia to get back to her family or will God give her another chance at life?

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Told in a literal series of flashbacks, I really enjoyed the story of Olivia Larson. Dear Daughter was a book that I did not want to end for the best of reasons as the storytelling was captivating and the scenes incredibly poignant in how they pointed to God. While I typically gravitate toward reading dual POVs, this book skillfully allows readers to step inside of Olivia's shoes from her perspective and appreciate her journey. It truly made me feel for her and helped me to empathize with her way of thinking. This was my first book by Kassandra Garrison, and I hope there will be more as she is excellent at drawing a myriad of emotions out of readers. If there is ever a sequel or a continuation of this story, I would be sure to read it.

Dedicated to the author's daughter, this is a special book that touches on the themes of motherhood and God's sovereignty. There is not a chapter or scene where God's presence is not referenced, giving readers the opportunity to praise God for His faithfulness in our own lives. Patience is one of the fruits of the Spirit that is exemplified as the characters persevere and call on God when circumstances are not easy. Despite the abuse that is described, readers can see glimpses of hope found through the different people in Olivia's life. This is a book that reads like a love letter over time, forged through the harshest conditions yet emerging as a gift and a promise of God's unconditional love. What is most touching is that readers not only witness the author's heart for her daughter, but her daughter is also pictured on the cover, giving this story personal meaning.

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Review: The Biblio Diet

Over the years, I've had the joy of reading many books on health and nutrition, partly a product of some studies I've done on it and also due to personal interest. As a result, I'm always intrigued when there is a Christian perspective on this subject. I'm grateful that I learnt about The Biblio Diet by Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe after having previously read Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe. Many thanks to Worthy Books for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In this breakthrough book, New York Times bestselling authors and nutrition experts Jordan Rubin and Dr. Josh Axe offer a simple and holistic plan for building strength, health, and longevity. Based on the ancient wisdom of the Bible and confirmed by modern science, The Biblio Diet’s intuitive and easy-to-follow plan invites you to experience a breakthrough in the health of your entire family by learning to eat and live God’s way. In this book, y...

Review: Between Stairs and Stardust: Finding Ever After #1

One of the things I wish I could do is to take advantage of past Kindle releases that are no longer available. Unfortunately, this was the case with Finding Ever After , which was released four years ago. While it's no longer possible to find this book again, some authors have made their novellas available separately, which is what I found with Pepper Basham 's story called Between Stairs and Stardust . From all of my searching, I believe that hers is the only one that can be purchased as a physical copy, although the second story, Entanglements by Rachel McMillan, is available on Kindle. I'm not sure how to track down the other two stories, but imagine how lovely this collection would be as a paperback! Book Synopsis An illustrator in hiding A millionaire with a gardening fascination And the possibility of a perfect fit for a happily-ever-after Once upon a time… A young illustrator, forced from her home in Boston, must return to her Blue Ridge Mountains to escape a scanda...