Skip to main content

Friday Finale

woman wearing white sweater and blue jeans sitting with closed old book in her hands

This is going to be my last Friday Reads.

Why?

When I first started sharing what I was reading, I would share four types of books: one Christian fiction, one Christian non-fiction, one non-Christian fiction, and one non-Christian non-fiction.

That got to be a bit much as I do read widely and am sometimes all over the place.

I then went down to just two titles, a Christian fiction book and a Christian non-fiction book.

However, over the last several months, I have constantly run into issues where the books that I'm about to embark on end up riddled with questionable content.

Should I do more research beforehand? Yes. Do I? Not always. Whether it's lack of time to read reviews, or I trust the person making the recommendation, or any other reason, I confess that I have not done as much due diligence as I could have.

In real life, I come across duds and move on. Online, those mistakes linger and linger.

I've stated before that what I'm reading is not always an endorsement; however, when I see those book covers again, I'm sick to my stomach. I'm nervous that what I post might be seen as alignment. And finally, the last thing I want to do is highlight books that glorify sin instead of God, or worse yet, point away from Him. I've toyed with the idea of removing some of these posts altogether, but I also want to show how difficult it is to discern a good book from a bad one at times.

Should I read more reviews now? Certainly, yes. But I also enjoy forming my own opinions. By stopping with the Friday Reads, I hope to exercise that discernment more privately and only put a spotlight on the books that are honourable to God. I honestly wouldn't be putting out negative reviews were it not for the fact that I erred in selecting some of these books in the first place and it's quite public that I did so.

It doesn't mean that I'll seek out questionable books now that I'm offline (it had to be said!), but it does mean that I want my focus to shift back to supporting great books and authors and not getting bogged down with the ones that aren't so great.

In short, there is a responsibility involved in sharing about books and I want to get it right.

Thank you for journeying with me on this so far. I keep learning new things every day about how to grow in my faith, how to have a more sanctified mind, and how to better encourage others. My prayer is that I don't take reading lightly and that I continually evaluate it against the source of God's truth in the Bible. Soli Deo gloria!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Shopping from Home

One of the things I've appreciated about being more picky with my reading is that I have a little bit more self-control in purchasing books now. I'll admit that up until most recently, I was pretty indiscriminate in purchasing Christian books simply by virtue of it being Christian, even if I had never heard of the author before or had only seen a picture of the book online. However, in the past few months, I've enjoyed getting to exercise more discernment in what books I choose to pick up. This has resulted in an unofficial book buying ban without me fully realizing it at the time. While there were a few books that I picked up a few weeks before Christmas, I've largely gone without getting additional books since then. Part of this is because I can wait a long time for sales to appear! The other part is that I'm trying to pick better books for my home library knowing how many books I might have to part ways with over time. This had me thinking about which books I wou...

Lord of Our Entertainment

I have to give full credit for the title of this post to Heather Wood who used this phrase in an Instagram story to promote the #ClearlyChristianReadathon . Thank you for using this term as it's been in my head ever since I saw it! In thinking about what it means to have Jesus as the Lord of my life, this clearly and obviously extends to how I fill my time and what content I consume. Although my reasons for being more intentional with my reading were initially pragmatic (as in if I die soon, did I waste a lot of time in my life reading things that weren't even that great?), I also see how it can both reflect my walk with God and shape what it becomes. Though I'm sharing a lot of content about the Clearly Christian Readathon , I'm encouraged to think of all of my entertainment choices in the light of eternity. While I've certainly struggled with this at different times in my life, it's been hitting me in a different way now. I confess that even quite recently, ...