Skip to main content

Review: Candy Cane Gifts

Candy Cane Gifts book cover on blue background

It's always wonderful getting to support a Canadian author, but even more so when the debut novel is as charming as hoped. I recently discovered Courtney Westerhof and was delighted to hear about Candy Cane Gifts. I'm thankful that this book kicked off December (and the Advent theme of hope) for me! 

Many thanks to the author for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own.

Book Synopsis

Anonymous gifts topped with candy canes—Christmas just got interesting in Port Hope.

Ally wants to be a hard-hitting journalist. Instead she finds herself writing about parades and town council meetings for Port Hope’s newspaper. However, covering the local mill that’s on the verge of closing could be the opportunity Ally needs to move up to a national reporting job. Then, in the midst of the most difficult holiday seasons in Port Hope’s history, various residents start receiving substantial, anonymous gifts. Ally’s tasked with the mission to uncover their benefactor; her only clue being the handmade candy canes attached to each gift.

As the mill situation grows more dire, and more gifts appear, Ally finds herself more connected and part of the small town she had, up until now, been so eager to be done with. She also works to sort out her conflicting feelings between Will, the cute community activist, and Brooks, the tall, handsome mill owner.

Source: Amazon

Book Thoughts

Let me just say that this book packs a wallop! From the beautifully simple cover of a woman extending a candy cane to the premise of gifts associated with candy canes, this book granted me the perfect entrance into the Advent season. It was such a treat to finish this book in one sitting as I could fully immerse myself into the town of Port Hope and enjoy meeting the lovely characters interspersed throughout the town landscape. Furthermore, it was a delight to see non-profit organizations highlighted during the Christmas season; I can attest to how accurately Courtney Westerhof portrays their work and the needs they face. I also appreciated getting a behind the scenes look at the life of a small town reporter, which the author infuses with her own background.

There were two things that I absolutely loved about this book. First, the messages of faith completely fit what people were going through in Candy Cane Gifts. Words of hope are as essential to the residents of Port Hope as their town name is. Nothing is forced here; all the elements of the story converge into Jesus as the hope and light of the world. Second, this book felt so real. The Christmas activities were not at all formulaic; contrasting this to Hallmark-like books and movies, Port Hope was refreshing to read as the point of the story wasn't in what type of festivities were taking place, it was about the heart of the residents and community. If you're looking for a heartwarming and fulfilling story that shares the Gospel message in a deeply moving way, Candy Cane Gifts is an excellent gift this Christmas. It also doesn't hurt that the romance that plays out is as sweet as a candy cane!

Book Summary

  • Format of book: 📱
  • Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
  • Recommendation: 👍

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: September 23, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabi...

Review: Pride and Practicality

After reading  Sense and Suitability by Pepper Basham , I've been absolutely hooked on how she writes a Regency story! Pride and Practicality follows Simon Reeves' sister, Arianna, as she returns home to her family after escaping a scandal. I love her redemption story and am so thrilled that I've also been able to meet my favourite clergyman, Thomas Bridges. Many thanks to Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Book Synopsis In a world ruled by reputation, compassion may be the most scandalous act of all. Arianna Reeves knows how quickly admiration can turn into exile. One poorly placed trust, one disastrously charming rake, and she is no longer society's darling—but its favorite cautionary tale. Now returned home—uninvited and unmistakably whispered about—Arianna is determined to make amends with her estranged family and do something useful with her thoroughly ruined life. Even ...

Life Up North

I'm going to go against my previous posts about keeping my opinions to myself on things outside of faith and reading by sharing some of my recent experiences instead. I figure that if we read fiction to broaden our understanding of other perspectives that it might be worthwhile for me to share how things have been for me as a non-representative Canadian (I'm not speaking for anyone else here!) 😄 I'll be honest in that it's been tough in the last few weeks and months. I've done my best to keep up my optimism and more importantly, my hope in Christ, Who is unchanging and steadfast. Rulers come and go, nations evolve and change, and politics can swing back and forth, but God is immutable and sovereign over all things. That being said, recent geopolitical factors have resulted in an emotional toll on me and a lot of the people I interact with in my life. While I am grateful that I can place my burdens at the foot of the cross, I recognize that others in my life have va...