Skip to main content

International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church

International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church stack of books and films on a wooden chair against a white blanket

Today is the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church. It's a reminder that global Christians in different parts of the world are likely facing persecution and even martyrdom for their Christian faith.

Here are a few books that may help in learning more about their struggles and plight. As one part of the body of Christ hurts, so do the others. If you are interested in learning more, some of these resources come from Voice of the Martyrs.

📗 Jesus Freaks by dc Talk
📗 Live Like a Jesus Freak by dc Talk
📗 Killing Christians: Living the Faith Where It's Not Safe to Believe by Tom Doyle
📗 Persecuted: The Global Assault on Christians by Paul Marshall, Lela Gilbert, and Nina Shea
📗 Between Two Tigers: Testimonies of Vietnamese Christians compiled by Tom White
📗 Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand
📽 Tortured for Christ
📗 God's Double Agent by Bob Fu
📘 Safely Home by Randy Alcorn
📘 Across the China Sky by C. Hope Flinchbaugh
📘 Daughter of China by C. Hope Flinchbaugh
📽 China Cry

Not pictured:
📗 Foxe's Book of Martyrs by John Foxe
📗 I Dared to Call Him Father by Bilquis Sheikh and Richard H. Schneider

I've read a few biographies and books over the years from other parts of the world as well; however, you can probably detect that I have a heart for Christians in East and Southeast Asia and have collected those stories. If you're interested in learning more about which countries top the list for where Christians face the most extreme persecution, Open Doors offers a World Watch List to help guide our prayers.

May we remember our brothers and sisters in Christ and the trials they face for believing in the Lord Jesus Christ.
For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. - Matthew 16:25

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: All the Suspects on Campus - A Christie Club Mystery #1

As soon as I saw the premise for All the Suspects on Campus by Heather Day Gilbert , I knew that I had to read the first book in the Christie Club Mystery series . And what a delight this book is with the characters brimming to life with their own quirks and a plot that takes you all over the place! It doesn't release until January 26, 2027, but I'm certain that there will be much fanfare leading up until that time and beyond for mystery aficionados. Many thanks to Harlequin Books and NetGalley for providing a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. All opinions are my own. Content to be aware of : This book is published under the Love Inspired Trade imprint; however, there is little faith content included. There is also a brief reference to the metaphysical. Book Synopsis A secret library. A murdered colleague. Can professor Jo Blue Oliver use her love of Agatha Christie to solve a case? Jo Blue Oliver, an outspoken English professor at a small West Virgin...

Christian Book Review Programs

Over time, I've been on the hunt for Christian book review programs that readers can join. As a result, I've been able to compile the following list which may be of interest if you are seeking review copies of Christian books. This list mostly applies to print and ebooks, although some publishers offer audiobooks as well. If further information is available for any of the publishers below (or any missing publishers), please let me know as I am happy to update this list—thank you! Please note that you can also search for these publishers on NetGalley and other review sites in case there are no review programs available to you or you don't qualify for one 😊 List last updated: October 9, 2026 Christian Publishers 10ofThose Availability: U.S., Canadian, and U.K. residents Format: Only books published by 10ofThose qualify for review requests so as to avoid impeding with other Christian book review programs Genre: Christian non-fiction, children's books Email for availabilit...

Reader Identity

The more I share my book thoughts and reviews, the more amazed I am at how many readers there are out there and just how many people enjoy talking about the books they're reading. Quite frankly, I'm blown away by the notion that there are people actively wanting to adopt the persona of being a reader, whereas I remember growing up, it was stigmatized as either boring or 'nerdy'. I used to cringe when I was in a position where I was asked to share about my hobbies as reading seemed to generate a sort of response where others would murmur about how they didn't know that people did that for fun. To be fair, this might have been some of the social circles or settings I've been a part of over the years, but I think reading has generally become more mainstream now. Thankfully, I can let people know that I spend almost all of my free time reading (amongst other things), and others don't seem to bat an eye anymore. While I have seen some content that discourages peo...